If FREE, Lexicon MC-1 or Outlaw 950?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Randy G, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

I tried to get a sample vote about this a week or so ago, but it started to get too heated, so I'll try one last time: If you had to choose between a free Lexicon MC-1 or free upcoming Outlaw Audio 950, which would you choose?
    Hopefully, not JUST Lexicon owners will respond, but also non-owners who are familiar with the Lex feature set.
    I'm curious as to what weight you put on various features, but don't feel obliged to explain if you're not inclined to. Just looking for a vote.
    Thanks
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Randy G on October 24, 2001 at 10:58 PM]

2. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Lexicon all the way!
    I am not a Lexicon owner, I am just 16 and Id be in heaven if I could afford one. I like (and support) Outlaw and the upcoming 950 but the Lexicon is just more for me.
    ------------------
    Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Lexicon, I've read some really great stuff about these processors. Logic 7 on Dolby digital material converting it to 7.1 surround. I have Harman Kardon with logic 7 and it doesn't do it for DD but it really is great.
    ------------------
    ONCE, I CONSIDERED SPARING YOUR RETCHED LITTLE PLANET CYBERTRON, NOW.., YOU SHALL WITNESS IT'S
    DISMEMBERMENT...
    MY HT PIXS

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I'd have to say Lexicon! (I'm afraid Randy would hurt me if I said otherwise!)
    Brian

5. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

I'd have to go with the Lexicon here. However, that Outlaw would be awfully tempting.

6. Ben Rogers

Ben Rogers Stunt Coordinator

I never heard the Outlaw but I think the Lexicon MC-1 sounds very DRY. I prefer not to take it

7. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

No brainer: Lex. One of the most highly regarded processors on the planet.
    However, if analog bypass is an absolute deal breaker for you the Lex does not offer this capability. As such the Outlaw would be more appropriate.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

8. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Stunt Coordinator

If free I'd take them both and compare. [​IMG]
    Seriously, I would go with the Lexicon because I value its long established excellent reputation, and the fact that it can derive 7.1 channels (with stereo surround back channels) from a stereo source.
    Outlaw has a short excellent reputation. From reading Outlaw's last newsletter, it does not appear that it can derive 7.1 channels even from multi-channel sources.
    Now using a REAL world situation:
    A used Lexicon MC-1 can be had for $2,000 and the initial price of the Outlaw 950 is $900. At these price points I'd go with the Outlaw. I do expect the MC-1's prices to continue to drop as more are traded for MC-12s.
    Larry

9. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

I'm going to echo Larry's sediment, go with Lexicon based on reputation (haven't been able to audition one because no one has stock/demo locally).
    This all assumes that both were new. Used Lex vs. new Outlaw, I'd have to go with the Outlaw.

10. James Mudler

James Mudler Stunt Coordinator

Lexi. Their are many features Lexicon offer that is difficult to find in other processor. Logic 7 and steering adjustments are fantastic.
    Outlaw is hitting a great price point and would be tough to over look at $1000 price tag.
    ------------------
    Luke, I'm your father

11. george king

george king Supporting Actor

The lex for sure. If you are giving them away I'll take one.

12. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Lex all the way!

13. Gregory Scott Bass

Gregory Scott Bass Stunt Coordinator

Can I have a MC-12 instead [​IMG] Seriously though I had a MC-1 and I did love it but it was a little nerve racking having 6000 dollars sitting on the shelf, 6 grand is a whole lot of money(to me) and I was actually fearful of a power surge lol, I think that for me 2 grand is about my limit on any one piece of equipment, I have high hopes for the outlaw 950 and its announcement is what prompted me to part with the mc1. I think if the outlaws prologic 2 comes with all the parameter adjustments planned then I should be able to give logic7 a run for it money. if I win the lottery then perhaps we can start a krell discussion [​IMG] on another note I would like to say I hav'nt posted here in a while but have been a member since htf first started out, It is still the best forum on the web and I find it amazing that Ron and company have been able to keep it such a pleasant place to visit, In my circles I am considered a hometheater expert(everyone calls me before making any purchases) and the reason I am is because of all the great people here. Thanks a Bunch! Scott Bass

14. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Just for the record Randy, you noticed I haven't said boo....?

15. Michael D

Michael D Stunt Coordinator

Pro-logic II is not a seven channel system. It will take 2 channel and make it into 5.1 but not 7.1. I think in the long run Dolby will have a DPL version that will do this. How about DPL III??? OH, and by the way, if they were free I would take the Lexicon.
    ------------------

16. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

Who has the outlaw so I can come over and listen to it?

17. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Is this really a fair comparison? Or, like comparing a Toyota Camry to a Lexus LS400? I don't know the cost of either but since I own an Outlaw 1050, I suspect the Outlaw is the lower end receiver? Yes? but the Lexi higer end?
    PLMK
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Regards,
    Todd

My HT

18. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

With the MC-12 trade-in program, I can get a used MC-1 for $2000 and DC-2 for $1500. For some budgets, that puts essentially the same price tag on a used Lexicon and new Outlaw (IOW, the comparison is fair).

19. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Herb,
    Your restraint was exemplary, and it appears that many others are boo-ing for you.
    Thanks for the survey, folks!!
    For the person who said that DPL II won't create 7.1 from a stereo source, you're right. Only Lexicon and Meridian's proprietary modes will do that. The Outlaw 950 will however, take a stereo source and create 6.1 out of it and split the rear channel info into two rear mono channels....not as good as 7.1, but probably not too bad either.
    ------------------