What's new

if by chance...blu ray Disney TREASURES... (1 Viewer)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
what would you like to see...my request would be for the silly symphonies...and of course Song Of the South...and where is So Dear To My Heart ? They would make the great Treasures they all ready are. My desires run to the classic annimation rather than the T.V. material. Is there anything in that arena that did not make the TREASURES?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I would add the other [uncensored / unedited ] musical anthologies to that wish list. "Melody Time", "Fun and Fancy Free"... I forget what else.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I would add the rest of the True Life Adventures. The sets we got were fantastic, but I don't think complete.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Song of the South If (and I stress IF) it finally comes out, I bet we'll also be getting a brand spanking new transfer as well. Although the Japanese laserdisc is generally regarded as the best official home video version to own, the picture quality looks pretty faded, and the transfer looks like it was sourced from a 16mm print.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't hold my breath. The Treasures line was discontinued because they were always a niche product and Disney has pretty much ceased to put out niche products. I mean, how many of their live-action films never even made it to DVD? Towards the end of the line, people had to beg Disney to keep the Treasures going long enough to finish out the Donald shorts. As for SONG OF THE SOUTH, there's no way in heck that they'll even think of releasing it in the US. Even though the film is truly not particularly racist, it's reputation is such that Disney wouldn't want to weather the controversy just to sell a small amount of copies of a film that is mostly live-action and isn't really in demand by anyone except for old people and film buffs. I would love to be proved wrong. I think the animated sequences are tremendous. If you really have questions about the current state of Treasures-like projects, you should email Leonard Maltin. He personally responds to emails and is as honest as he can be about what he knows. He's the man!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Brian Kidd said:
I wouldn't hold my breath. The Treasures line was discontinued because they were always a niche product and Disney has pretty much ceased to put out niche products. I mean, how many of their live-action films never even made it to DVD? Towards the end of the line, people had to beg Disney to keep the Treasures going long enough to finish out the Donald shorts. As for SONG OF THE SOUTH, there's no way in heck that they'll even think of releasing it in the US. Even though the film is truly not particularly racist, it's reputation is such that Disney wouldn't want to weather the controversy just to sell a small amount of copies of a film that is mostly live-action and isn't really in demand by anyone except for old people and film buffs. I would love to be proved wrong. I think the animated sequences are tremendous. If you really have questions about the current state of Treasures-like projects, you should email Leonard Maltin. He personally responds to emails and is as honest as he can be about what he knows. He's the man!
I can see them doing limited edtions on blu-ray. That seems to be a model that is working for others. Doug

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
The animation in SOTS is indeed incredible. The animation was directed by none other than Wilfred Jackson, who also directed Cinderella and Alice in Wonderland, among other Disney projects. I also read than when James Baskett was recording his Br'er Fox lines, he spoke so fast that they had to invent a new animation technique in order to keep up with his rapid-fire delivery. Neat little break-through in animation if I may say so myself.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Even if Disney released it with some kind of on-screen disclaimer, like the politically-incorrect shorts and cartoons from Warners. Anything is better than leaving this gem in the vault.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
New 4k HD restorations of the Technicolor Silly Symphony and Mickeys from the original three-strips would be amazing... and probably not sell a single unit.

Real Name
John S. Troutman
Oh, they'd sell, particularly in the right market. There's a reason almost every single Treasures is out of print, with several of them going for big bucks on eBay. I suppose, technically, many people may not feel the need to upgrade if they already have the DVDs, but there's a lot of improvement to be had if the shorts had proper HD restorations. Some of them look downright abysmal.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by Lord Dalek

New 4k HD restorations of the Technicolor Silly Symphony and Mickeys from the original three-strips would be amazing...
and probably not sell a single unit.

a single unit, sold and waiting, also want the Donald Duck shorts as well

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I spent a lot of money on the Walt Disney Treasures sets. I mean a lot of money. I have a complete collection. Also have all four volumes in the documentary series. But I would buy them all over again if they were restored for Blu-ray because I think so highly of the animated shorts and early live action programs and features, even though it's a risk. It's a risk because you can't trust the Home Video division. They release poor quality full-screen transfers of widescreen films that everybody wants, and then they release restored widescreen transfers of films hardly anyone is interested in. They will scan old films and change the color so that it no longer looks like the film we know. When you spend your money on Disney, you never know what you're getting. But I'd buy the Silly Symphonies again on Blu-ray in a heartbeat, and: Walt Disney's Legacy Collection: True Life Adventures, volume 1: Wonders of the World True Life Adventures, volume 2: Lands of Exploration True Life Adventures, volume 3: Creatures of the Wild True Life Adventures, volume 4: Nature's Mysteries Walt Disney Treasures sets: Silly Symphonies More Silly Symphonies Mickey Mouse in Black and White, volume 1 Mickey Mouse in Black and White, volume 2 Mickey Mouse in Living Color, volume 1 Mickey Mouse in Living Color, volume 2 The Complete Goofy Chronological Donald, volume 1 Chronological Donald, volume 2 Chronological Donald, volume 3 Chronological Donald, volume 4 The Complete Pluto, volume 1 The Complete Pluto, volume 2 Adventures of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit Disney Rarities and Celebrated Shorts Disneyland: Secrets, Stories, and Magic Your Host, Walt Disney Walt's Tomorrowland On the Front Lines Behind the Scenes at the Walt Disney Studio Disneyland USA Davy Crockett: the Complete Televised Series and Features Elfego Baca and The Swamp Fox The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh and Dr. Syn Alias the Scarecrow Zorro, the Complete First Season Zorro, the Complete Second Season Adventures of Spin and Marty -- serial on Mickey Mouse Club The Hardy Boys -- serial on Mickey Mouse Club The Mickey Mouse Club The Mickey Mouse Club Presents: Annette I'm not interested in the last two; in fact those DVD sets are still in the shrinkwrap. But the rest are worth risking some money on. A Blu-ray release would also give the studio the opportunity to include some cartoons that were left out the first time. Perhaps they would see a Blu-ray release as an opportunity to put the cartoons in chronological order this time. Plus the studio could follow through by releasing the entire Elfego Baca episodes, the entire The Swamp Fox episodes, the second Hardy Boys serial, and the second Spin and Marty serial. While they're at it, they could also issue the feature-film edits of both serials and of Zorro. A Blu-ray release would also give them the opportunity to correct the day-for-night and gamma catastrophe that was Dr. Syn / The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh..

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
When I first discovered the Treasures I was still in my DVD collecting infancy and for quite a while I was happy owning just the half dozen or so that most interested me at the time. But they grew on me at the same time my interest in more things Disney was growing by leaps and bounds, and fortunately at that point it was still possible to find many of them, new, at or near original price. I've finally amassed all but two Treasures and one Legacy, and have paid "collector's prices" only on two that I can recall.

Now, would I like to do it again? ehhhhhhh......

I'd certainly upgrade the ones that meant the most, but I'd prefer to have more and more previously-unreleased material made available.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
So yeah... basically what I'd like to see: Every short in chronological volumes by series - complete and uncut 4K restorations from either the best nitrate elements or the original three-strip seps for the technicolor shorts. No reissue prints if at all possible. Also proper 2.55:1 anamorphic masters (which they've never gotten) for Grand Canyonscope and Toot, Whistle, Plunk, And Boom. Disneyland/Walt Disney Presents/Wonderful World Of Color - each show in season sets, probably ommitting the movie cutup episodes, and leaving all original sponsor plugs and ABC/NBC bumpers intact. Song of the South ....yeah good luck with that.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I went straight to one of the dvd & bluray producers at Disney. He told me that the studio is scanning each and every short, but it takes a long time to do it. I think you heard some of that information on the Dumbo restoration thread. I asked him if they plan to re-release the shorts on bluray. He said it's likely, but not definite, and not soon. He said that each short has differing source materials to go through, making restoration efforts unique for each one. They also don't know, at this point, if each short will receive a "full" restoration on the order of the animated features. Obviously, to restore each short would take longer and cost much much more than simply presenting what they have in terms of scanning the shorts. So it's still all up in the air. You'll notice that on the Dumbo dvd there are 2 Silly Symphonies in hidef, but they weren't restored and they don't look particularly good on bluray. That may be a factor in getting Disney to bite the bullet and go the full restoration route from here on out. So hold onto your Treasures as long as you can--

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yeah there are also a lot of the more historically important ones on the Snow White blu-ray. The b&w ones (especially Steamboat Willie which frankly looks stunning) are pretty good but the tech SSs are kind of a mess of lack of definition and and other printing flaws brought on by the rudimentary optical combination systems of the 30s and 40s. "The Goddess of Spring" in particular looks like a bad vhs tape at times.

Real Name
John S. Troutman
Yeah, the shorts that have already appeared on Blu-Ray vary wildly. The Dumbo SS's look terrible, but I recall Thru The Mirror on the Alice disc looking quite good. Maybe when that Warner Bros collection streets, Disney will notice that the market exists.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by John Troutman

Yeah, the shorts that have already appeared on Blu-Ray vary wildly. The Dumbo SS's look terrible, but I recall Thru The Mirror on the Alice disc looking quite good. Maybe when that Warner Bros collection streets, Disney will notice that the market exists.

don't count out Tom and Jerry along with the LT sets, think that it would be a combination of how well both sets do might generate the interest, but it would need to be executed correctly, no one will accept half assed sets

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Something that occured to me on the subject of the "Song of the South" controversy.... its a blatant hypocrisy. You know why? Because Disney continues to hoard that film in the vault to this day for perceived racism, yet this piece of blatantly racist doggerel IS on video and aired on The Disney Channel fairly frequently back in the day. DOUBLE STANDARD!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks