What's new

If Arnold wins, will his DVDs be pulled from circulation? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
According to recent polls Arnold has a good chance of being elected CA governor next week. If he wins he will be sworn-in in about 6 weeks time. I'm wondering if I should pick up any of his DVDs if he wins as there is the possibility of them going OOP. After all, none of Ronald Reagan's films were shown on television once he became president so there is a precidence. I haven't purchased any of his films yet because quite frankly they are low on my list of priorities. But if they were going OOP for several years I may have to reconsider.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
They never pulled Jesse Ventura's movies when he became governor. President is a bit different than Governor.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
His movies are too popular across various genres and this is an issue only for California. I and millions of others would have some serious problems with the studios if they stop selling his DVDs to all 50 states because of the circus in one. The studios will be making a huge mistake (ethically and financially) by no longer selling his movies if he becomes governor.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
There's a difference between broadcasting and home video. They might stop broadcasting his movies, in California, like they did with Reagan's movies. If they were to broadcast them over the air then there's a chance that a democrat could demand equal time, based on the equal air-time laws. But they can't dictate equal time with your private viewing.

Rik P

Stunt Coordinator
I was watching Predator the other day and didn't realize that tell half way during the movie. This could be a action hero turned Governor(s) movie.

Now all we need is Carl Weathers to run for Gov. :emoji_thumbsup:

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
I saw many Reagan films on TV while he was President so they did air.

However, I remember that they were pulled during the 1980 election due to equal time rules. I honestly don't remember 1984, but I would suspect they got pulled then as well. That election wasn't all that competive so I doubt anybody was seriously complaining about equal time issues that year.

I have read that when he was running for California governor in 1964 the episodes with Mr. Reagan hosting "Death Valley Days" were not aired in California(a substitute host was used), but they were aired elsewhere in the country.

I probably shouldn't let this post end without making a not so subtle hint to Warners that a DVD of "King's Row" would be most appreciated :) Heck, I'd even buy "Storm Warning" even though Warners has already said it won't happen.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
if they were going to recall dvds or limit the broadcast of his movies, wouldnt they have already started? the election is next week. lets say he wins, what is the use of limiting anyones exposure once they win office? the equal time laws or rules deals with pre-election exposure. if anything like this were to be done, it would be coming to and end very soon, not starting up.

CJ

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
LOL Adam! Great quote.

Yes Dennis...if you didn't pick up on it, he was the chain gun wielding badass in Predator.

"I ain't got time to bleed."

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Everyone who mentioned the equal time provision and the fact that this is limited to the active campaign season is correct.

Out of an abundance of caution TV stations and networks might not show purely entertainment programs like movies and dramatic (or comedic) TV shows featuring an active candidate - but only for "X" number of days before an election. Once someone has been elected he or she ceases to be a candidate until the next election cycle. (Well, that's the theory, anyway... :))

So (a) this only applies to broadcast television and (b) only applies to the period immediately before election day - neither of which have anything to do with what you can watch or buy on DVD.

As for Reagan's films - if anything they were probably shown more when he was in the White House than at any other time, since they weren't exactly big ratings draws before he entered politics. Chances are they were shelved again just prior to the '84 election, then returned to the rotation.

Regards,

Joe

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I can't imagine any reason why any of his discs would go out of print. If anything, companies will jump on the bandwagon and hype the discs more than ever.

-Dave

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
On the contrary, studios are taking advantage of Arnold's election run.

On Oct. 14, Fox will release a $39.98 gift set that bundles Predator, Commando, The Running Man and Total Recall (the latter two in a co-op deal with Artisan; bare-bones Total Recall). True Lies also will come out of moritorium for $14.98.

On Oct. 28, Columbia Tristar will release Last Action Hero and the special edition of The Sixth Day in a specially priced two-pack for $28.95.

LeeL

Stunt Coordinator
What I'll enjoy is if Ah-nuld ever goes on HBO's Real Time like Jesse did. I give Ventura credit, he's a straight shooter, who speaks his mind and makes a lot of sense. That right there should, in my non-Californian opinion, eliminate Arnold from running for governor (ask him the time and he'll go on for an hour about making kids exercise).

Favorite line from Jesse's appearance: "Hey, Bill, you told me backstage not to be a pussy when I come out here..."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks