If Adire published an EBS alignment for a Tumult, what would it be?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by David_P, Mar 5, 2004.

1. David_P

David_P Stunt Coordinator

To my knowledge, Adire has never published any preferred alignments for their "statement" driver... I'd like to know what some recommended alignments would look like for ported versions. Seems like they'd need to use wrapped slot ports from what Dan Wiggins has indicated.

David

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

The tumult moves more air than the tempest which is why people recommend the use of passive radiators instead of ports. (Passive radiators do the same thing as vents)

The 3" or 4" ports on the EBS may not have enough "air bandwidth" to let the tumult breath easy. Which could result in distortion.

The other option is a "slot" type of port. You will have to put the tumult into a simulation to calculate the dimensions of the slot vent so that you won't get any distortion. There will be variables such as how low you want to tune the subwoofer, what volume can the box be, and how loud do you want it to play before it makes "air" noise.

Once you go through some ports and designs you may see why people get Passive radiators which can really cut down on the size of the box. They cost in the $100ea range for 15" or 18" PRS and you will probably need more than one which is the only drawback.

3. David_P

David_P Stunt Coordinator

Dan Wiggins has indicated in several threads that he'd prefer a slot/wrapped port, primarily due to concerns as to whether an 18" PR (pair) is up to the long term beating a Tumult would deliver I think. The stryke 18's are probably OK, but they're 150 US each, which adds 350$ to the cost of the project.

My point is specifically aimed at the slot port idea... I know it might not be best, or perfect, but I've never seen an "official" suggested alignment, and I'm wondering if one exists that I don't know about.

David.

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

What's wrong with using the standard concepts for creating an EBS sub? Grab a copy of Unibox and use the guidelines from DIYSubwoofers page

5. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

Or if the 4" ports aren't enough, grab a larger diameter length of sonotube (I know, still needs a huge box). I used 5.5" for my Tempest and it seems to have worked well.