If _Star Wars_ were on D-VHS...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Garman, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

Hello all. Let's pose this question: despite the large cost of D-VHS, would you buy one if Fox said a copy of the special edition trilogy would be released, say, in August? Or would you rather wait for a DVD release of both original and special edition a year or so from now? I know what my route would be, but what is YOURS?

Aaron Garman

P.S: Can you all picture the Deathstar in 1080i on a 65" widescreen HDTV??

2. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Yeah, but imagine that Death Star sized hole in your bank account just so you can say, "Hey look, I have Star Wars" super clear on my big screen.

I'd definitely wait.

Then again, I'd rather have either the Back to the Future or the Indy Jones trilogies on DVD before Star Wars, but that's just me.

3. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Producer
    Supporter

Aaron-

First of all, we won't see the original SWTrilogy

on DVD in "a year or so" unless "or so" infers to

Second, I would NOT spend $1000 for a D-VHS player,

just so I could buy pre-recorded, over priced,

"bare bones" media, regardless of the titles

available.

I will happily stick with DVD until HD-DVD arrives

on the scene in 3-8 years.

TAPES SUCK, and will derteriorate, digital, analog, or otherwise. Period.

Mark

4. Michael St. Clair

Hey, these hard linebreaks suck for cutting and pasting:

5. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint

6. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

Tapes Suck!

7. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

8. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Star Wars was one of the films I bought on vhs, then had to rebuy on vhs, prompting the start of my laserdisc collection. To go back to a deteriorating system is unthinkable, especially for a film that I already have on ld (both the special edition and the original version).

9. Gareth Flynn

Gareth Flynn Stunt Coordinator

10. Mike_S

Mike_S Stunt Coordinator

I wonder how long it would take before we saw posts like:

"My HD-VHS player just 'ate' my HD Star Wars trilogy!"

11. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

12. Frank

Frank Stunt Coordinator

13. Vince Bray

Vince Bray Stunt Coordinator

The deterioration will likely not be nearly as pronounced when using the tapes digitally. I'm sure the studios are trying to provide HD (good) and the hardware for HD-DVD is years off, so the venerable VHS comes back. The damn tapes are so bulky though, I can't replace 'em with DVD fast enough!

I'll buy it when the VCR is $159 and SW trilogy is $59.

Vince

14. Steve O

Steve O Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't buy a TAPE player even if the Star Wars Special Edition Trilogy (which was a butchering of the original films) came out on D-VHS tomorrow!!! In posing this question, you have unwittingly illustrated my whole beef with this D-VHS garbage. Namely, sucking studio resources into a tape-based format steals resources and focus away from HD-DVD, a disc-based format, which is the proper use of resources and R&D capital.
    Furthermore, if any Star Wars film came out in any other new format before DVD, we should all have the right to bitch-slap George Lucas and every Fox executive for screwing over their fans for the umteenth time.
    Make no mistake, ... this is a fight between the studios regarding which format will prevail -- TAPE or DISC. As Bill Hunt (of The Digital Bits) so eloquently stated in his editorial on the subject --

15. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

You know what....wouldn't it be an interesting coupe if the Day Episode 3 is released, The Original Movies where out on DVD? After all, he did say that he wants all three movies to be out before releasing the original trilogy on DVD...

That being said, I wonder if it's possible to fit all three movies on one dual layered disc, and have two extra discs filled with Extras....

16. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Well Steve, I would like to know how Lucas has screwed over his fans umpteen times?

Let's see, he has released both the original versions and the special editions in THX box sets on VHS, both of which were the very best the format had to offer. He then again released both the original version and the special edition versions in awesome THX box sets on laserdiscs. One was the THX Definitive Collection Box Set of the originals, and the other was the THX Special Edition Box Set. Again, both were the very best the LD format had to offer. He even released the original films on LD as single LDs and single films. Then Lucas released TPM on DVD in another awesome 2-disc DVD edition, mainly at the clamoring of fans that just wanted a Star Wars film on DVD. They got it. Also, it's been reported, and I believe correctly so, that AOTC will be released before the year is out, and that all of the prequel films will have their DVD releases coincide on a regular time schedule. Also, Lucas has not only supported, but encouraged fan sites and fan-made trailers and other events. So, after doing all of that, can you tell me how he's screwed over fans umpteen times? Don't whine just because you don't have the originals on DVD yet. They'll get here. Just because you seem to be disappointed that they haven't arrived, doesn't mean Lucas has screwed over his fans, and certainly not as awesome as you claim. He's done nothing of the kind.

As for the question, no, I wouldn't buy them. But only because I don't support the D-VHS format. It's already dead in the water when nobody but a few discriminating videophiles buy it. It may be hi-def, but it still has all of the drawbacks of VHS, such as tape deterioration, the machine eating the tape, and no bonus features and extras. Also, the expense is ridiculous. So no, won't do it.

17. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

You're missing a point with D-VHS. It's as far as I know the only practical way to record high-def transmissions off the air.

Yes, tape sucks, and yes, it does especially suck that studios are putting efforts into getting prerecorded material out there... but I doubt if those efforts will be that large.

D-VHS is a niche product for a niche market, namely people with HD sets. No reason to get worked up about it, it won't ever become a mainstream item.

18. Norm Lalonde

Norm Lalonde Stunt Coordinator

No, I won't buy D-VHS for any reasons what-so-ever. Not even Star Wars. Not even if they would offer the movies for free. I'll wait for a few years for the DVD versions.

I still have my THX widescreen LD's I can enjoy until then.

Norm

19. Terrell

Terrell Producer

20. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Tape can never beat a disk-based digital/optical format. It would not be as good to have a special edition Star Wars D-VHS as the DVD would be. I would not buy.