IEEE 1394 (help)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_L, Mar 21, 2001.

1. Paul_L

Paul_L Extra

Hey....
    Should I wait to buy a HDTV with firewire connections? Since Sony and Mitsubishi are coming out with models, the trend starting would be that this input might be really nice to have.
    Any opinions?

2. John Perun

John Perun Auditioning

The IEEE 1394 standard is being positioned to interconnect all future appliances and all manner of audio and video hardware. Unfortunately, at this point the rollouts of IEEE 1394 enabled equipment is in it's infancy and will more then likely take several years before it becomes a common item.
    Having a television equipped with IEEE 1394 interface would place you in a good position for the future, the immediate benefit is very limited.
    ------------------
    Learn & Live

3. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

I agree, the immediate or near future impact of IEEE is unknown and probably very little.
    If you want to get a tv now, might a recommend a Mitsubishi. They are the only company with the promise to be upgradeable. I just bought mine about 2 months ago. I could have waited another 4 or 5 months for the new models, but I'm enjoying it right now, and that is what matters. Since I went with Mits, I feel quite confident I will have problems later on. It might be a problem with other manufactures however, since they have no promise.
    Neal

4. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

I'm no expert but I know many Sony camcoders are equipt with IEEE 1394 right now. I will wait till the new models come out this fall.