IE locks up!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by tim55, Sep 18, 2003.

1. tim55

tim55 Extra

Help!!!
    Whenever I try to start IE it locks up and I can't ctrl/alt/del out of it, I have to shut down and reboot. The same thing happpens when I go into control panel or any other explorer window.
    Any ideas or suggestions on a fix?
    I'm running XP Home on a Compaq P3 512mb laptop

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Has this started happening after changing any hardware?

First thing I'd check is the memory. Go to http://www.memtest86.com/ and run Memtest to see if you have any faults.

I'd probably try reinstalling Windows if you can't determine any hardware probs.

3. Paul Bartlet

Paul Bartlet Stunt Coordinator

well, I've run that memory test for another problem myself, it takes H O U R S to complete. I would suggest trying a different browser just to see if it really is just internet browsing. If a different browser works ok, then you know it's a problem with "IE".
    While you do need to use Microsoft updates to fix security holes, they can muck things up from time to time.
    My Father-in-Law had a simalar to this, it turned out to be "MSBlaster" virus.
    I can tell you, when he opened "Control Panel", when it finally showed up, nothing was there, and, the "close" button was not spelled correctly. It was "Cl&ose".

What was the last thing you did that started this,
    ie - new software, microsoft update,....

4. tim55

tim55 Extra

No new software .....maybe an update.