Idle gossip or the beginnings of a pre-Oscar smear campaign?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vickie_M, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

You decide. This was in IMDB "News."
    =============
    Fatone Caught in Clinch with 'Big Fat Greek Wedding' Co-Star
    'N Sync singer Joey Fatone's flirtations with acting have had a definite effect on him - he was caught kissing his married My Big Fat Greek Wedding co- star Nia Vardalos. On September 7 - just two days after the ninth wedding anniversary of Vardalos and TV actor Ian Gomez - the pair were at New York bar the Cutting Room, along with their Wedding co-star John Corbett and Chelsea Clinton. After the 25-year-old "Bye Bye Bye" star jumped onstage and performed with the band, Fatone and Vardalos, 39, "were making out in the back of the hallway by the band's dressing room," eyewitnesses tell American magazine Us Weekly. A source says, "They were at it for about 10 minutes - in the plain sight of a few people." Joey is currently dating long-time love Kelly Baldwin, who gave birth to their first child Brianna last March.
    =============
    I suppose that if they're writing gossip about you, you've "arrived." This item would never have been put up on the site 6 months ago. Only teenage girls would have been interested in Joey's love life, but it wouldn't have mattered because no one would know who Nia Vardalos was or what My Big Fat Greek Wedding was, so it wouldn't have been printed. Now that the movie and Nia's story have become fairly well-known, it matters all of a sudden?
    This interests me because it looks to be a PERFECT smear campaign item, true or not. Gossip killed The Hurricane. Gossip tried to kill A Beautiful Mind. Turning the smiling, goofy, lovable Toula into an adultering homewrecher would seem to be a pretty good idea for those who would like to eliminate the competition come Awards season. I can't help but wonder if someone is trying to let the air out of MBFGW's balloon. Ha, love that "in the plain sight of a few people." Who exactly are these people and who saw fit to tell US magazine?
    First the unsourced Spielberg quote about 9/11, now this. I love IMDB, I was there at the very beginning of IMDB, but they're really pissing me off lately with this kind of irresponsible "news."

2. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I don't know what to make of it. It's pretty pointless news, no matter what, and it has nothing to do with films. It's tabloid garbage and it's a shame that IMDB should bother with it. Now, I don't know if it is a smear campaign, but I do know it's a waste of space.

Bruce

3. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

Very typical of IMDB "news" of late. 3T News. Typical Tabloid Trash.

4. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I highly doubt it's a smear campaign because I highly doubt MBFGW has any Oscar chances. If anything, it's a sign that Vardalos has "arrived". Now that she has achieved a certain amount of success, it's time for the muckraking machine to kick into gear.

5. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

6. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

Vicki -

7. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    Yeah...this film is a VERY dark horse.

But, Vardalos can be happy that she's this famous (or not...).

8. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

9. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

10. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Supporting Actor

Roger Jason Adams
    You actually believe that bull? One of the pieces of "evidence" posted there, is a autographed script, which they say that he signed off on it. If it comes off the internet...its just gotta be true.
    http://graphicwitness.com/carter/mov-script.html

11. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

12. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

A double standard?

Dirt on Russell Crowe appears to be fair game, but dirt on Vardalos is irresponsible news?