What's new

Idiotic Question (1 Viewer)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Alright I have an 80 or 100 watt KLH Bass Bite V powered subwoofer. My question is, how high should I turn up the volume knob on the back for optimum performance?

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
When it blends in as well as possible.

Listen to a familiar tune without the sub, and then bring it up a notch or 2 and listen again.

As soon as you notice the sound quality getting worse, knock it down a tad.

If it has a crossover, keep it around the cutoff point of your mains.

Is this music or HT??

Good Luck -

- CM

Vietor

Stunt Coordinator
The question may be more akin to something I ahve been wondering about my SA-WM40.

Do I set the sub volume to max, and adjust down on the reciver? or do I set the reciver to near the middle and adjust down on the sub's internal amp?

I would think the former because thats what SVS recommends to do with the samson and thier subs. Maybe it is because that is how the amp was designed to be driven?

I would think no though because it seems like that would reduce the S/N ratio of the sub input (lower signal stregnth, making noise more apparent). The amp would be amplifying the line noise as much as it could, and that would be bad.

Anyone got any input on this? I am somewhere in the middle of the two options right now.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Actually if you guys do not have LFE input(crossover defeat) on your subs, you want to max out your crossover knob(150hz?) this way your sub does not miss any information, and don't worry your receivers crossover will not let frequencies above 120hz go to your sub.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Ok, the CROSSOVER issue and the "Receiver vs Sub Volume" issue are different.

Receiver vs Volume Control: Someone discovered that the LFE port on most receivers, including flagship units, had a LOT of Total Harmonic Distortion. And the values went up as you increased the sub/LFE output.

So for this reason, some people like to leave the LFE level at -3, or -6, and use the knob on the sub to adjust the volume.

But the truth is: you cannot percieve even the 5-10% distortion on the LFE port, even with very good equipment. This distortion has been present in receivers for years and nobody noticed.

Andrew: do you have a SPL meter to adjust the volume? If so, my suggestion would be to turn the sub volume up about 75% of it's max volume. Then use the SPL meter and receiver remote to tweek the sub up/down to match the mains. This is a good compromise between ease-of-adjustment and minimizing THD.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks