What's new

Identifying DVDs you've watched and those you haven't (1 Viewer)

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
As I'm thinking of changing the way I store my DVDs, I was wondering how everyone identifies those DVDs they've watched and those they haven't.

Currently I keep the watched and unwatched DVDs separate. Each group is sorted by category and then alpha within each category. This has worked well, with the exception that I and my friends have to look in two different places to see all the movies in a given category. But, as the unwatched DVDs are about to completely fill up their shelving unit, I'm starting to wonder if another solution is better.

On the assmption that I put them all together, here's what I've considered:

- Putting the unwatched DVDs in upside down. Of course, this will make it a bit difficult to read the titles. (This is how I currently store TV shows that I haven't watched yet.)

- Affix Post-It flags to the spine of each unwatched DVD. That way, I can tell by "color" which ones are unwatched. Note - this means buying a LOT of Post-It flags as I have about 750 or so unwatched DVDs at the moment.

---

What have you all done to ID those DVDs you've yet to watch? (Note - as I unwrap and spot check every DVD when I get it, leaving them shrinkwrapped is a non-starter...)

Thanks!

-greg

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
If they're in my house, they've been watched. Its pretty simple. If you have so many DVDs that you arent sure if you've watched them, please send some of the ones you're sure you've watched to me. It will make sorting your collection easier. :D

Bryan

Stunt Coordinator
I built a 6'x6' DVD stand that can hold even the larger boxset cases (though not the ET large box).

Watched Movie DVD's get alphabeticaly sorted in the main area on the left 3'. The lower left area has all the unwatched DVD's.

All Specialty/Documentary, TV Shows, Children (or animated) and Music end up on the right 3' and sorted.

Kenneth English

Second Unit
All unwatched DVDs stay wrapped and unopened.
Wow. You definitely have more self-control than I. Even if I'm not going to watch something right away I just have to open them! I can't help myself! I've had this problem since childhood -- you won't find a sticker that's not peeled or a wrapper that's unwrapped within a mile radius of me. ;)

I too keep my DVDs in a database. The ones in bold I haven't watched yet. Don't ask how many... :b

nousername

Supporting Actor
All unwatched DVDs stay wrapped and unopened.
I haven't done this since the day I opened a brand new DVD and discovered there was no disc inside.

Also, I have discovered a couple of times that a disc was scratched even before I opened it. (No, it did not come off the spindle.)

It's much better to open your DVDs right away so that you can deal with any problems immediately.

Richard Waller

Second Unit
My unwatched DVDs are either open or sealed. Strangely enough, even with 350+ DVDs, I know which ones I haven't watched.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
My unwatched DVDs stay o the shelf by the tv, then after I've watched evreything on them, I archive them chronologically by director. Unfortunatly, I only have 200 dvds, so I don't have a problem with unwatched discs cluttering my entertainment rack :frowning:

I also suggest opening those suckers up the second your in the door (I usually open them in the parking lot of the store, but than I'm a geek). I always give them a spin, just to see that they play ok, even if I don't plan on watching it right away. I've caught a few bad ines this way.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I keep mine in basically 3 sections- ones I've watched all the way through (including commentaries and extras, I also listen to the foreign-language dubs if there are any!), ones I've watched partially (just the movie but not the commentary for example) and ones I haven't watched at all- On my shelf I have 15 DIVX discs (which all have been played through the 10-minute screen saying "The Divx Feature is required to view this disc") to separate the "completely watched" ones too!
I always open newly-bought discs right away to see what the inside looks like and to catch any problems that might arise.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Interesting that several of you use a notation in your database to indicate that you've watched a DVD. I've though of doing something similar.

One question: do you therefore keep a printout of the database by your collection so you can reference the watched/unwatched field?

-greg

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
How 'bout this simple idea......

Slide a note under one of the inside insert clips on all your unwatched titles. If you open a case and spy a note card, you know immediately it's of the "unwatched" variety. :)

I apply the above "note card / index card" method on some titles to remind me that a particular title contains some noteworthy Easter Eggs that I most definitely would forget about looking for if the index card had not been attached. Then it's off to www.dvdreview.com to get the Egg Shortcuts. :)

Also: Does anybody else use notes in the cases to remind them where they left off on a given disc? (Especially useful on TV Boxed Sets ..... i.e.: Have watched thru Ep. 13 of ST-TNG-Season 5.) Being able to tell where you left off is about the only advantage VHS had over DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks