What's new

Identifying DVD player MPEG Decoder Chipset (1 Viewer)

Dick N

Grip
I recently purchased a Panasonic RP-56 which according to hometheaterhifi.com contains the Sage/Faroudja FLI2200.

There is no mention that this is the case in the user manual specs or on the Panasonic web page and there is no

DCDi logo on the player.

I opened up the case and found a daughter card connected to the DVD player via a ribbon cable. On this card are a Panasonic branded microprocessor (MN102H60GFA), Samsung Memory Chip (K4S643232E-TC60) and Analog Devices DtoA encoder for Progressive scan (ADV7199KS). There are two large Panasonic branded chips which I couldn't identify MN677533MP and MN103S13BGA.

Can anyone suggest how to identify the MPEG decoder chipset in a DVD player.

Thanks

Ted Ross

Second Unit
I just did the same thing you did & was surprised as well. However, after some research at the AVS forum I found out the Sage chip is on the underside of the mpeg card.

Dick N

Grip
Thanks Ted. I tried removing the daughter card but its screwed down so tight I can't remove it.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Dick, here is the link to the AVS post that has pics(scoll down a few replies to get to the links) of the mpeg board turned upside down. I couldnt get mine loose either, but there is a small opening on the side of the player. With a small pen light shining through the hole I was able to see the Sage logo imprinted on the chip like in the pictures at the above post.

Darryl_B

Stunt Coordinator
FYI, The Sage chip is the deinterlacing chip in the RP56. One of those Panansonic chips is the MPEG decoder.
DB:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks