Ideas for trip to Thailand?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

My wife and I are thinking about taking a trip to Thailand for about 2 weeks at the end of May/beginning of June. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as far as places/cities to go as well as hotels to stay in. In fact, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Allan

2. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

My significant other lives in Northern Thailand and I am very partial to that area. Chiang Mai has a nice mix of temples and museums. They are also much cheaper than Bangkok if you plan to do any cultural shopping (laquerware, gold, jewelry, silk, etc) or hit the night markets. There is a nice spa area outside the city and an area with Elephant farm, snake shows, etc. You can take hill tribe tours or trekking/rafting as well, if that is your inclination.

If you go further North to Chiang Rai they have the King's mother's palace and you can head up to the Golden Triangle.

Between Bangkok and Chiang Mai you can hit Sukhothai (one of their ancient capitals, now in ruins). You have to fly into Phitsanulok (which has a beautiful temple) to get there.

If you are more into beaches then you can hit Phuket or Ko Pi Pi. Ko Pi Pi is the more rural with cabins rather than hotels. There should be excellent diving at either.

I haven't spent enough time in Bangkok to know what things are best there. The Golden Palace is nice. Also, the floating markets and Ayuthaya are worth a look.

Hope that helps.

Kenneth

3. Mike Huay

Mike Huay Stunt Coordinator

I have been there a few times. Its a great country.

As far as Bangkok, Jim Thompson's house is my personal favorite, and I reccomend it highly.

Enjoy the great food and beer!

4. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

THanks for the advice. It turns out that our trip is going to encompass Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Phukket. We are probably going to stay a total of 13 days.

1. Any advice of how many days to stay at each city;

2. Any advice on hotels to stay at. We are looking at nice hotels, but not necessarily luxury ones. (Something on the order of a Marriot in the US).

Thanks again and if anyone has any (more)suggestions of places to visit within thse three places, it would be much appreciated.

Allan

5. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Is Phukket, Thailand pronounced the way it appears? If so, the following conversation COULD occur with a travel agent:

Customer: I'd like to book a vacation, but I'm torn between Tahiti and Thailand.

Travel Agent: Prostitution is legal in Thailand, I believe, but would cost twice as much as a trip to Tahiti.

Customer: Hmmmmm

Travel Agent: So, where do you want to go?

Customer: Hmmmmm

Travel Agent: What destination?

Customer: Phukket - Thailand!

6. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Phukket is pronounced POOH KET (as in get with a ket)
    Although that would be funny.
    Oh great, more Farangs to go to Thailand.
    [​IMG]
    :p)
    [​IMG]
    But seriously though, always, always check out the food. It's my fondest memory of the place. As far as Bangkok is concerned, if you plan to be somewhere, go two hours ahead of time. Traffic is murder
    For beaches, I recommend Koh Samui (pronounced something like GAW SAW-MOO-YEE).

7. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    How about visiting the Norh factory. I'm not sure where in thailand they are located but you can find out at http://www.norh.com

8. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

I'd second the suggestion for going through the floating markets. It's pretty impressive to ride through the various canals where everyone is in their own small boat (can't remember the name) and peddling/selling their daily food and wares.
    If you can find a snake farm and an alligator farm, check those out. Also, while you're in Bangkok, get a ride on a tuk-tuk [​IMG]

9. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    *snicker*
    Bangkok... Phuket... [​IMG]
    Hey, i can be juvenile once in awhile cant i? [​IMG]