Ideas for things to do in HI

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug_H, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

I am going to Honolulu next week and I was hoping some of you might have ideas for things to do besides lay on the beach. I am on a budget for this trip so the cheaper the better.

So far I have planned a scuba dive and will see the Pearl Harbour monuments and such. I am taking surfing lessons and I have a one day trip to the big island to see the volcano.

2. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Take a drive past Sandy Beach and the like and keep on going up towards the windward side of the island to the North Shore. I believe at this time of the year the waves are pretty big.

There's a beach up on the east side of the island called Sherwood Forrest or Bellows because its near Bellows Air Force base. Mostly locals go there but its good for boogie boarding.

Take a trip up to Pali lookout as well. On a windy day you can lean over at a 45 degree angle and it'll hold you up. If you chuck a penny down the cliff sometimes it comes whipping back up at you but make sure no one is around to get hit.

At night you can go up the hill to what they call Nautilus and when your at the top there's a great site of the city with all the lights on.

Have fun.

Patrick

3. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Screenwriter

If you haven't already done so get an Entertainment coupon book for Hawaii from Barnes and Nobles.com. I was there in November and loved it. With the book we saved a ton.
    Aloha[​IMG]

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    What's your interest? Theres some real cool hiking spots in Kauai, like the Na Pali Coast. Makes a good day hike and an awesome backpack to Kalalau Beach at the end. There's also a lot of waterfalls that you can drive to and lighthouses around the island for the more touristy types. If you want to stay cheap, get a tent and camp out. Up to about a year ago, permits were entirely free but now there's still only a reasonable fee.

If you're not interested in the outdoors type, Oahu has some cool day spots to check out like Diamond Head, a short walk/bus trip from Waikiki. Take "The Bus" on a like $2 guided tour of the whole island. I don't recall the bus but pick up a schedule at the airport, ask the locals and they should be able to tell you the bus that basically circles the whole island. It's cheap so for a cheap tour, you can just ride it around and stop when you want to.

The next time I go to Hawaii, I'd like to go to Molokai and also either hike or bike up the 14k mountain on the Big Island... That would be fun!

Jay