What's new

Ideas for open plan sitting room (1 Viewer)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
After a lifetime of only having ported subs, I’ve gotten three sealed ones. Admittedly, two of them are high end, but I think the benefits of ported are grossly overstated and the negatives are completely ignored. Sealed has benefits, especially for living spaces.
Thanks for that, John! I’ve been mulling the idea of trading my ULS-15MK2 for a ported model, so thanks for saving me the trouble!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
In terms of the back of the room you mention, do you mean it's irregular in the sense that there isn't really a back, its just the dining and kitchen?

Yes, IOW it isn’t a flat wall parallel to the front wall. Frankly I'll take a large irregular room any day of the week over a "shoebox" room.

Thanks again, this is very helpful and I am thinking a 3.1 system is going to be achievable in this space!
I wouldn't hesitate to put a 5.1 system in there.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks for that, John! I’ve been mulling the idea of trading my ULS-15MK2 for a ported model, so thanks for saving me the trouble!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
If you want to go for broke, then get a couple Seaton SubMersive HP+, or the SVS SB-16s I got, but I doubt I'll ever go back to ported. Don't replace your ULS-15MK2 simply because you think a ported model will be some massive improvement.

dennycrane

Grip
Real Name
Tim
Yes, IOW it isn’t a flat wall parallel to the front wall. Frankly I'll take a large irregular room any day of the week over a "shoebox" room.

I wouldn't hesitate to put a 5.1 system in there.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Great to know. So could I just buy 5 of the ELAC Debut v.2 as previously reccommended? Or do they need to be different?

And I would have them just behind the sofa, right?

Sorry, super elementary questions, but I want to get it right!

Thanks again for all the help!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you go 5.1, there needs to be a way to run wire between the surrounds and the receiver. There isn’t really a wireless option for those.

dennycrane

Grip
Real Name
Tim
If you go 5.1, there needs to be a way to run wire between the surrounds and the receiver. There isn’t really a wireless option for those.
Yeah, I was thinking I could be strategic with rug size and placement, and have the cable drop down the speaker stand and underneath the rug. Or I could wall mount and run the cable to the receiver!?

John, would you reccommend purchasing 4 of those ELAC Debut 2.0's you mentioned earlier, and then the center speaker too? with 2 subwoofers, do you think that could be a pretty good setup?

Thanks!!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I do. And a good receiver.

You can also get decent, flat speaker wire designed to go under carpets. Just make sure it’s at least 16ga.

dennycrane

Grip
Real Name
Tim
I do. And a good receiver.

You can also get decent, flat speaker wire designed to go under carpets. Just make sure it’s at least 16ga.
Awesome, any reccommendations for a good receiver for this set up? I can post another thread, but dont want to clog up the forum, just if you had any on your mind you wanted to reccommend.

Looking forward to getting started on this project :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That’s the tough part. Receivers are difficult to get right now.

Look at Denon and Yamaha.

dennycrane

Grip
Real Name
Tim
That’s the tough part. Receivers are difficult to get right now.
Stupid question - but could I just pick one up from goodwill to tide me through? will older receivers work with this new gear, have power requirements etc changed or could I get away with something cheap for now?

Also, if I could only do 1 sub woofer for now, would you recommend in the right corner or left corner? I want to do this set up right and it may mean buying bit by bit.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, you can go used. Just get something with at least Dolby Digital and DTS. Preferably a newer one with HD audio. I just noticed ELAC is having a big sale. You can definitely start with one sub. You might be happy with just that. Try both corners and see if you prefer one.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Actually, I have a Marantz SR5004 receiver I can sell.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’d be happy with $150 plus shipping. I have a commercial UPS shipping account. Boy, I see absurd prices for that on ebay. $350-600 is way too much.

dennycrane

Grip
Real Name
Tim
Apologies if this needs to be a separate thread, but thought I would post my idea here:

I had a crazy idea - I have an office in this new house that I could repurpose as a dedicated home theater room, its about 12W x 14L - so pretty good dimensions I think.

The problem is, that it's quite bright, it has 3 windows, then has double doors with glass. Same tile flooring.

What I could do is get black out curtains/blinds for the windows, and potentially the door. But I just wanted to see what you thought of the space and if it would be worthwhile investing in or if its a complete no go:

HERE

HERE

Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks