What's new

Ideal Speaker Placement & Room Acoustics (1 Viewer)

PushkarDighe

Auditioning
Hi Friends,
Could you kindly give your comments on my following statement?

"In a home theater if all the speakers are correctly SET and ALIGNED and if the room acoustic are perfect then in such situation, a single MONO signal if sent to all the speakers namely L-C-R and LS-RS then at the SWEET spot it would seem as if the sound is coming exactly from top of the listeners head"

L - C - R

X

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is what speaker level calibration with an SPL meter and test tones are for. Very few rooms in a hometheater are ideal for sound, so calibration and placement take on a more significant role. Calibrating each speaker idependently is required, relative to it's placement within the room.

PushkarDighe

Auditioning
Thanks for SPL meter suggesstion I am sure I need to buy SPL meter. Till then I was thinking this would be a good way to check speaker levels and positioning

Pushkar

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
it would seem as if the sound is coming exactly from top of the listeners head
So you are saying/therorizing that all the speakers would create an image above your head?

I dont think it will really work.

For one thing, the sound waves would combine & cancel each other to give a very funny volume. Kind of like what happens with multiple subs in the room.

Another thing: when two speakers create an image in front of you: the speakers ARE throwing sound at your head. I dont think it works for an over-the-head image.

One of the magazines has a series of articles on "Home Theater Architect". The author actually recommends putting the center speaker off-axis a bit and does a lot of analyis of seating to make sure you dont sit in the exact center of perfectly aligned speakers. He says this is un-desirable for a HT system. I dont know if you get "Sterophile Guide to Home Theater" in India, but take a look at the current issue if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks