What's new

Ideal Set-Up for music (1 Viewer)

AliZaki

Auditioning
Real Name
Ali Zaki
I haven't found any posts that relate to my question enough so I guess I have to start a new forum. I love listening to music during my free time and I have recently acquired a set of old panasonic speakers (5.1 surround sound compatible if I understand correctly) for free. I also have a set of old Sony stereo speakers. I was also able to get my hands on a 7.1 channel receiver (I'm not sure if thats the correct name). So I was wondering if I would be able to connect all the speakers using the set at hand and produce a fairly decent experience.

P.S. would it be better to disconnect the surround sound option if even possible and have 3 sets of stereo speaker, a subwoofer and a sound-bar?

I am well aware of the fact that there are many stereo speakers out there that would outperform the speaker I have and that selling the ones I currently own and buying them seems like a viable option. But given my current financial situation I am forced to work with what I have here. Any sort of help and input on how to make it work would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys

AliZaki

Auditioning
Real Name
Ali Zaki
I would like to be able to switch between the two options (if possible) depending on whether I am listening to music or watching a movie.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I have multiple systems and I like optimizing my mixed (audio and video) set-ups for music with the ability to play movies (also am in FL). I have system with preamps with HT bypass. If you have a budget constraints then the way your are heading (extra set of speakers) may be a good way to start.

AliZaki

Auditioning
Real Name
Ali Zaki
Awesome, the set up options I mentioned in my original post I got off the internet, since I'm not very familiar with sound systems etc. So I was wondering if you have any sort of links as to how to make it work or is the receiver I have just all I need to actually make it work.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Depending on the speakers, you could do a couple of things. If the stereo pair is superior for music, then you could probably use the receiver's multiroom option (assuming it has one) to connect the 5.1 set as one "room" for movies and the stereo pair as another "room" for music.

If the stereo pair isn't superior, then you could just combine them all into a 7.1 setup. When you listen to music, turn off all the surround/effects processing so only the stereo signal is active.

Another option, if the stereo pair is superior, is to set it all up as a 7.1 system with the stereo pair as the front R/L. That should work well, assuming the center speaker in the 5.1 set isn't too different from the stereo pair. Experiment and have fun! :)

AliZaki

Auditioning
Real Name
Ali Zaki
Depending on the speakers, you could do a couple of things. If the stereo pair is superior for music, then you could probably use the receiver's multiroom option (assuming it has one) to connect the 5.1 set as one "room" for movies and the stereo pair as another "room" for music.

If the stereo pair isn't superior, then you could just combine them all into a 7.1 setup. When you listen to music, turn off all the surround/effects processing so only the stereo signal is active.

Another option, if the stereo pair is superior, is to set it all up as a 7.1 system with the stereo pair as the front R/L. That should work well, assuming the center speaker in the 5.1 set isn't too different from the stereo pair. Experiment and have fun! :)

Those are really great options, I guess I'll start playing around and see which one works best and get back to you. Thanks a lot for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks