Ideal sealed box for Dayton DVC12???

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by DorianBryant, Oct 1, 2006.

1. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

Wondering if the Dayton 2.0 cubic foot box would work with this sub? Anyone use any of the pre-fab boxes from PE?

I need the smallest possible enclosure for the DVC12. Any experience or ideas? Thanks

2. Brent_S

Brent_S Second Unit

Assuming you mean the DVC12 part # 295-185, not the shielded dvc12.

WinISD models a Qtc of .672 in 2 ft^3 sealed. Displacement limited power is 250 watts @ 20hz, 325 @ 30hz, levelling off @ 600 watts at 45hz. F3 is 42hz, f10 @ 24hz. 250 watts will get 98db @ 20hz, 104db @ 30hz, 107.5 @ 40hz.

You can actually go down to 1 ft^3 sealed without much of a penalty. Q rises to .846. Power handing is 562 watts @ 20hz, 588 @ 30hz, 600 watts @ 33hz and up. F3 is 46hz, f10 @ 30hz. Using 500 watts yields 97db @ 20hz, 104.4 @ 30hz, 109 @ 40hz. Dropping to 250 watts will lose 3db across the board. Jack Gilvey built a DVC12 in this size enclosure many years ago...I think he said a friend of his is still using it.

Output's a wash, but you need twice the amplifier power for the smaller box. The lower Q of the larger box makes it technically more accurate, but I doubt the difference makes the smaller box unlistenable. Overall, I'd call it a coin toss...is the smaller box worth the extra price for a larger amp to get equivalent output.

Never used the PE boxes personally, but a search should turn up some first hand reports. I think opinions are generally favorable. Assessing as a good or bad value depends on how much you enjoy making saw dust and whether or not you have easy access to the necessary tools. Material cost to build even the 3 ft^3 box is probably under $50, excluding time and tools.

-Brent

3. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I built a 1.3 cu ft sealed and stuffed box for my DVC 12. It was okay. I eventually put it in a vented sonotube enclosure instead. If I were to try sealed again with this woofer I'd either try going larger or using some form of EQ to add boost and pick up a little more extension. It went almost deep enough in the 1.3L box, but still I felt it was lacking a bit (even for music).

Back in the day when this was a popular woofer (its an older design at this point) there was one guy who experimented with several box sizes and would swear than 1.1 cu ft was perfect and anything larger would make it sloppy.

Now I've actually plugged the vent in my DVC sonosub to emulate a 3.6 cu ft sealed sub. It didn't sound sloppy to me.

4. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Are both of those subs ported? I was considering making a 12" or 15" DVC sub, though I wanted mine to be sealed maybe with a passive driver.

5. Denton

Denton Stunt Coordinator

Denton
    I've used DVC 12's in cars using a sealed 1.2 cu ft box and liked what I got. I have one now in a 2 cu ft sealed box that is part of a secondary music system (in the house) and I like it, too. It does not do the very low "brown tone" that folks look for in a home theater sub unless the box is larger and ported. Here's one design: http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_fi...ts/RT3/rt3.htm

6. PeterV

PeterV Agent

i have this driver (dayton dvc 310-88 12" # sku 295-185) which has been sitting around
    unused for awhile. would like to try it in a sealed enclosure, not ported.
    what would be the optimal size sealed box, keeping a low Q, without losing any
    bottom end/low frequency extension.
    plate amps i have already are: pe #300-806/500 [email protected] ohms, and an older dayton/pe
    250 [email protected] ohms which i still like and works good.
    is it possible to use the adire shiva sealed box models for this driver?
    thanks
    peterv

7. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    The Adire Shiva required a larger enclosure.

Using the 250w PE amp and this sub, I built a sealed 1.2cf box for a family member. It was a great little sub in his small living room. With a recent move, I used the same driver/amp combo to go with a 4cf ported box tuned to 20hz.

You can try modeling this in WinISD or Unibox but 1.2cf was a very, very popular size enclosure for this driver here and at the PE Tech Talk board.