Ideal H/T dimentions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert M, Aug 7, 2001.

1. Robert M

Robert M Agent

I'm not sure if this has ever been discussed before, but as I am about to design and build my second H/T from the foundation up. Is there a perfect size? The size that I have in mind is 22'x15'8' finished ID.

2. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

One thing that constantly gets mentioned whenever "ideal" room dimensions for home theater are bandied about is to try to avoid exact multiples or common denominators of each dimension (like 10' x 20' or 10' x 15') since this theoretically can introduce all sorts of problems with the acoustics (wave cancellation, unwanted reinforcement, etc. - it can get quite complicated).
    Your measurements are close, but do not share any common denominators (7'+, but not exactly) so I don't think this would be a concern. In fact my room is almost exactly the same size (15' x 22') but once the shelves were installed the 15' dimension dropped down a little more than a foot. In other words, I don't think you'll have a problem.
    What is more important, however, is what type of display you will be using and how big a screen you want, as well as how many people you wish to accommodate. In my case, and with my projector, it is placed at exactly 13'3" from an 8ft wide screen and is a perfect fit for my needs. See my web site for a complete implementation from soup to nuts.
    The bottom line: Your dimensions can lend themselves to a great HT experience as long as you structure it so that your equipment and furnishings and the traffic patterns meet your objectives. There are so many ways to individualize this that there is no single pat answer, but I personally think you are on the right track.
    Good luck with your project.
    ------------------
    RAF
    [Demented Video Dude since 1997]
    [Computer Maven since 1956]
    ["PITA" since 1942]
    My HT (latest update 02/05/01)

3. Robert M

Robert M Agent

Thanks Robert.
    I thought that there may be a formula that outlines room responses by data input. This would allow me to adjust dimensions in order to avoid large peaks and nulls. I seemed to remember this information on this forum, and hoped that it would resurface here.
    Thanks again
    Bob

4. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

You can try this program if you have Excel.
    http://www.guidetohometheater.com/shownews.cgi?388
    Some other "golden ratios" I have come across from different internet sites:
    W=1.14C x L=1.39C
    W=1.28C x L=1.54C
    W=1.6C x L=2.33C
    Where C=ceiling height
    DJ