IDEAL Dimensions for HT

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Paul-D, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Paul-D

Paul-D Stunt Coordinator

I was just wondering what the "expert" opinions are on what the interior dimensions of an "ideal" home theater would be if I were interested in seating about 10-12 people. This would be for a front projection system, just to throw that in there.

Thanks in advance all.

2. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

If you are seating 10-12 people you'd prob be looking at 3 rows of 4. Depending on your seating that you go with you would need at least 14 feet wide and for 3 rows, again depending on your seats, at least 20 feet deep. That would be a tight fit regardless what seating you are using, but it would fit.
    Most don't have to chance to build to suit, so we design the room around the size. If you can build the size to fit your needs, I say the bigger the better. Look at your seating arangement/placement of equipement and media and add 3-4 feet for walking room.
    Short answer, you will get a lot of ideas on room size, but there is no good answer. Avoid (perfect rooms) these are typically bad for sound. Equipment, Accoustics, design and finish will have a much larger impact than the ideal room dimensions.

3. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

In terms of accoustics, there are prefered room ratios, sometimes called "Golden Ratios" an example is :

1.0 W x .61 H x 1.61 L

If you can select your room size, I would use them to guide you.

Also, Leave some room at the back and sides if possible so your speakers aren't right on top of your seating.

For projection, there is a Home Theater calculater on line (I don't remember the address) that tells you the screen size for THX complience and the like.

4. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
  5. Paul-D

Paul-D Stunt Coordinator

So, using the "golden ratio" of 1 w x .61 h x 1.61 l. If I'm designing my ht from scratch and not limited to an existing room then once I know the width of the room, i should make the others according to this ratio?
    For instance, if my HT were 18 w then the following should be the rest? 18w x 10.98H x 28.98L? Is that correct in how to use that ratio?
    Thanks again.

6. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

Thats right. Keep in mind that you don't have to use the Length/width/height as I put them in, (e.g. you could go 18 long and 28.98 wide) and there are several "golden ratios"

Also, oddly shaped rooms tend to be better than normal rectanguler ones. OTOH, it's near impossible to predict how a more complex room will behave accousticly.

7. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    Paul,
    If you have access to Excel, download the Frequency Response Calculator and you can try any dimensions you would like and see the results.
    Dave