What's new

IDEA...for weekly HTF chats while watching films! (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
How about a weekly "meet" on fridays where a lot of us get together and do an internet commentary while watching the same movie...
Basically, we all meet in the HTF chatroom, watch the same movie at the same time, and comment about it.
For example, we could all talk about "Citizen Kane" while watching it. Kind of like a DVD commentary, but it's live.
Good idea?
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
icon14.gif
Dude!! I think that is one of the coolest ideas I have heard yet. Kind of like a cyber Home Theater Forum meet. I would be in but Friday night are bad for me until Dec. 21st until after I get layed off. After that I will be there on Fridays.
Kevin C. :)

tyler O

Stunt Coordinator
I definitely like that idea. Financial concerns may prohibity me from buying too much in the near future, but hopefully my 250 odd can tide me through...
wink.gif

------------------
Share and Enjoy - The marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite.
My DVDs

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
tyler, do what I do: rent. :)
It's a little hard to watch a movie and type at the same time, IMO... if something comes up that you want to comment on, it has passed before you've finished typing, in most cases (I've tried with TV-shows). And if several people are commenting at the same time, it can become rather confusing.
But good luck guys, it could be fun!
/Mike

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
I agree, you shouldn't watch a movie which is too good, you just get sucked in and stop chatting :) Watch The Phantom Menace or as Jeff suggests Battlefield Earth, way funnier :)

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I think this is a great idea. Of course, it would have to be a DVD we all own. :) And I'm all for chatting through recent discs like The Godfather and Citizen Kane!
It'd be really easy to setup....everyone would fire their discs into the player and hit Play, and pause at the 0:00:00 mark. A moderator would then notify when to start your player so everyone is at the same spot.
What would also be fun, if you didn't want to do an entire film in chat, screen a Simpsons episode for a quick 23 minute commentary/chat fix. These we could do once or twice a week.
I was also talking with a friend from home who was interested in recording a commentary for any DVD and mastering it onto MP3 format for download. And, like the other example, have a cue to start the movie would be included as well.
Jason
------------------
Link Removed Link Removed
epi101_photo1.jpg

[email protected] ICQ: 16733922 2001 Film List I Am Jack's DVD List
"Are we gonna let the elevator bring us down?
Oh no! Let's go...let's go crazy!" Prince, Purple Rain
My Own Film Review Website Is Coming Soon!

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Interesting notion, but it wouldn't work for me. My computer and HT are in separate rooms. :)
Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Oh dear God, help us all if I don't stumble in drunk from a party and start blabbering on this
laugh.gif

------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
"Stranger things have happened..." - Wes Deskins
"It's not Pikeville, Kentucky. It's Pikevool!!! And it's not Louisville, it's Loolvool!!! Get it right, damnit!!!"
My DVD Collection

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Heck, I think this is such a great idea I'll get the ball rolling:
Meet me in the chat room, 9pm PST on Wednesday, October 17th at 9pm PST with your copies of CITIZEN KANE and we'll run it and discuss. I'll moderate and cue when to start your discs, and the rest is history!
Email or ICQ me, or respond here if you're interested.
Jason
------------------
epi101_photo1.jpg

tyler O

Stunt Coordinator
eeek!
That's midnight over here. If I feel up to it I'll definitely give it a try. Might not last too long though...
------------------
Share and Enjoy - The marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite.
My DVDs

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Yeah...it'd be 11:00 here...I'd be dissapearing faster than Sean Astin on The Goonies commentary!!!!
------------------
"This is not a drill. This is the apocolypse!"
Link Removed

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I mention that time because I won't be home that night until 9pm from work and Wednesday is the night I will be home by that time for sure.
Don't time zones suck?
Anyway, I will still be trying it out so feel free to join me.
Jason
------------------
epi101_photo1.jpg

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
Be sure to sava a chat transcript, perhaps it is time for a new section on HTF. :) Member commentaries.
------------------
-Dominik Dröscher ICQ: 25318265
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes."

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Other than that, this is a great idea for sure. When someone wants to do this just send me an email of the Date and Time and what movie you want to discuss and I will put an announcement about it up in the main announcement area for you.
Oh, and make sure that we aren't already in the room using it first. I can say that as far as Friday's go that this would be the best day as I doubt we ever schedule anything on that day.
Thanks,
Parker

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm glad this idea got such a great reaction!
This doesn't really need to be limited JUST to DVD...if it's eaiser for some people, we can just have some people use the VHS or LD versions (Beta anyone?)
Also, we should stick to AFI 100 films since they're probably the easiest to buy or rent.
BTW, Citizen Kane is an excellent choice! Great way to kick off this new event.
------------------
Visit my DVD review site, 24 fps DVD Reviews @ http://cztoondb.tripod.com/DVD/
and
The Colorized Cartoon Database @ http://cztoondb.tripod.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks