Idea for Theaters and Movie Studios, What do you think of this??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Da Silva, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Dan Da Silva

Dan Da Silva Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys I was just reading Ricky F, post, about the Jeepers Creepers DVD already being finished and the movie was just released today and I came up with this idea, tell me what you think?? I was thinking that if studio can have a DVD finished by the time its even out in the theaters why don't they try to cash in on it? Here is the idea. you go to a movie in the theater and after its over you can go show your ticket stub for that movie and then purchase the DVD right there on the spot for a raised price say $5 to $7 over what you would pay when it is released to the general public. what do you think? With this everyone wins, the studios and theaters make money and we get to have the dvd immediately for a small increase in the price. I would think this would generate alot of interest from everyone. They would make a ton off of impulse buys. I know I would pay the extra $5 bucks or so to have Fast and the Furious on DVD right now. How about you guys??
    ------------------

2. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

They'd never go for it, because then instead of being able to download a DivX ;-) of a camcorder recording the movie on opening night, people would be able to download a DivX ;-) of a DVD rip of the movie on opening night.
    DivX ;-) might be crap on anything other than a 15 inch monitor, but lots of people love it anyway.

3. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Despite obvious immediate piracy problems what would arise, you've overlooked another big flaw. Say one fella goes and sees it theatrically, he shows his stub or whatever and picks up the DVD there and then. There is nothing to stop him going home and running the movie on his HT to friends for absolutely nothing. The studios would actually lose money because if "Joe's" already got it on DVD, lets all go round his place and watch it instead of paying $7!
    Dan (UK)
    [Edited last by Dan Brecher on August 31, 2001 at 02:43 PM]

4. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Not to mention studios would rather have you pay 20-25 dollars for a title on DVD as opposed to the 5 dollars you are suggesting right after a movie which makes absolutly zero sense from a financial stand point for the studios.
    J

5. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I think he is saying 5 *more* dollars. So if the DVD is going to be SRP of $20 then you would pay $25 to get it early SRP of $25 you pay $30, etc. I agree that it is fundamentally flawed though, what studio would want people like us having 10 friends over to watch the big summer blockbuster at our house with better sound and picture than the theater one day after opening night?
    ------------------
    My Website: http://www.hometheaterfanatic.com
    e-mail me: [email protected]
    My DVD Profiler
    Paradigm Lover
    Donate to keep the Home Theater Forum up and running

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    You have all made great points about the effect simultaneous video sales would have on movie box office results. You have, however, neglected to mention that a simultaneous release on video and in theaters would disqualify Jeepers Creepers for Oscar eligibility.
    Bwa Ha Ha! [​IMG] Sorry, I just couldn't keep a straight face anymore.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

On top of all the other arguements already posted, the other reason that this wouldn't work is that the theatres and studios would lose money generated at the box office from repeat visits to see the same title.
    Not to mention lost sales of $10 popcorns and $7.50 cokes. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    Widescreen is Family Fun!
    [​IMG]