What's new

idea for new controller (1 Viewer)

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
since the general rule of thumb seems to be that Sony started some kind of standard with their "dual analog stick" type controller. I thought of a great idea for a new controller, which I think would be ideal for FPS games.

why not replace both sticks with 2 track-type balls. Or even if it just had 1 trackball and 1 stick. This would give the gamer much more accuracy and freedom than the slow analog sticks. (im assuming that the only problem with this is that the ps2/games arent programmed so support an endless rolling type input device.)

but, I think this would be an awesome type of controller, if it worked properly, and would solve the age old problem of FPSers wanting keyboard/mouse (mainly because the mouse is so quick and accurate when aiming etc.)

any thoughts?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I honestly haven't used it much - I couldn't get to grips with it for Q3A, but I have the same issues with it & the controller. I think it'd be VERY good for Starlancer.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
This sounds rather like the SpaceOrb as well. Just don't go to spaceorb.com to look for a picture - its a squatter with a million popups.
Only one popunder if you look at this review from 3D Gamers; as you can see its a bizarre thing.

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
hrmm..those are interesting..but I was picturing something basically that looked exactly like the PS2 Dual Shock 2, but instead, the right stick was a small ball. Thats it.

but worked in similar fashion to the others mentioned above.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think there's nothing wrong with joysticks. Sure, they aren't 100% accurate and they take a little longer to get pinpoint accuracy, but I find some games easier to use with a Dual Shock 2 than a keyboard and mouse (and if you have a PS2 you can use a USB keyboard/mouse combo for some FPS games anyway).

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I like your thought process but track balls are generally slower than the sticks found on the PS2 dual shock. It depends upon how you calibrate it but most track balls require a significant amount of physical movement to equal a small amount of screen movement. If you calibrated it much tighter it wouldn't be much different than using the analog stick.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks