Idea for a new Trek movie(& possible sequel or series)...

Discussion in 'Movies' started by todd s, Dec 3, 2003.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Why don't they do a show based on the New Frontier novels.

2. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

While a New Frontier movie or TV series would certainly be interesting to see, writer Peter David recently stated that he had no plans to bring New Frontier to TV. Besides, with some of the characters and situations taken from TNG, that would mean that Paramount would have to call the shots on it. Furthermore, it looks like the New Frontier saga will last about three more books. David said that the next novel will be set a few years into the future (after the events of the hardcover novel Stone and Anvil). That, along with two more follow-ups, and that'll pretty much do it for the series.

3. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    Maybe they could do a Crisis On Infinite Earths-style miniseries that would tie up some loose threads and straighten out the continuity. (Of course, Crisis was only partially successful at doing that for DC.) Maybe it could be a movie trilogy (although that might be a tough sell for Paramount after Nemesis's BO reception).

Whatever they do, I think they need to do finish Enterprise, and then take a few years off, and come up with some fresh ideas. Then after the rest, do a good story featuring characters that we've grown to love being themselves. And it must be unequivocally and unashamedly for the fans. Part of the problem with the Next Gen films is that they tried to hard to appeal to a wider audience. That just has to happen by itself. The Voyage Home is still the highest-grossing Trek film, but I don't think the filmmakers made any special effort to make it appeal to a wider audience; it just did.

They shouldn't necessarily rely on the backstory for their plot, but they shouldn't be afraid to refer to it if it comes up. I can't believe no one mentioned Lore in Nemesis. You'd think when they started to put B4 together, someone would have said, "Hey, remember what happened the last time we did this?"

As for anything new, I think it would be cool to pick up the story of the Federation picking up after the Dominion War. DS9 ended pretty well, but it would be interesting to look at the far-reaching consequences of this conflict.

I don't pretend to know all the answers to how to fix the Trek franchise, but I do know they need to do something that the hardcore fans are going to appreciate, because right now, that's about all they have left.

4. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

My idea is simple.

Get rid of Berman.

After that, limitless possibilities.

5. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

6. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

David,

It is funny you bring up Berman. If the franchise is doing as poorly as it is. You would figure Paramount would
    can this guy before he destroys their marquee franchise. But, then again he may incriminating pictures of the Paramount execs in compromising situations. [​IMG]

7. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

8. Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal Supporting Actor

I still wanna see at least one Deep Space 9 movie, dadgummit. The Trek franchise didn't lose me until they brought (ugh) Barbie Borg onto Voyager. I still have a mighty big soft spot for DS9. It is my all-time favorite of all the ST series.

9. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

Hollywood decision makers are at least an entire layer removed from what you and I would refer to as "The Real World". I don't know how or why quite exactly, but the phenmenon is quite observable and consistent over the years.

So basically, all someone like Berman has to do is convince a few key people he's The Man, and that leaves us with the shattered ruin of Star Trek the hack has brought us to.

I think it's extremely hard to argue the Trek franchise is healthy right now. When was the last time SF or even Trek fans reacted positively to a Trek offering? Wrath of Kahn? The Seventh season of TNG? Box office returns and ratings on the series bear out a story of a fading franchise that needs what are actually some simple things.

A) get rid of Berman
    B) hire in some creative people who LET CREATIVE PEOPLE MAKE DECISIONS.
    C) someone needs to realise SF audiences and the SF dollar will follow story and ideas, NOT female borg, female vulcans, female this and female that. Taking clothes off females or wrapping females in spandex is not a replacement for story, and won't get the SF audience tuning in.

That Trek has fallen this far is really quite sad. Paramount clearly doesn't care, and equally clearly hasn't noticed the devolving failure of their franchise. Berman definitely doesn't care; if he did there'd have been some changes for the positive and there haven't been.

Real shame, because I used to be proud of being a Trekkie. TOS and TNG, even when they could be a little awkward in their acting, always had a thoughtful story at the heart of each episode. A question was asked that related to a human or universal condition; things like morality in the face of expanding technology and opportunity, right and wrong with awesome powers of destruction at one's fingertips, and so much more. These days its "gee, we need to rub decon gel across one another's glistening bodies in the unisex medical chamber"; that's as deep and thoughtful as Trek gets for, what, a decade now?

Here's a basic hint for Berman. Aliens didn't used to all be hot females. Even Kirk only shook hands with a few each week, rather than simply handing out keys to his cabin. And when he WAS handing out those keys, the 'action' happened off screen and on-screen focused on (wait for it) ... STORY. Not sex.

10. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I read an article somewhere(it may have been Trektoday). Where Berman blames everybody, but himself.

11. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

That's what's called in layman's terms passing the buck. Obviously Berman is too blind to see what everyone else in the world sees, that sexing it up doesn't constitute a "bold new direction" for Star Trek. Solid writing and creative input does. And if it means stepping on a few toes or breaking a few rules to do it, then so be it.

12. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

13. Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal Supporting Actor