IDE question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike LS, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

This may be lame, but what is the difference between a RAID card and a PCI IDE controller card?
    Other than at least a $50 price difference?

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks) allows two or more drives to work together. There are different flavours of RAID, but the two types most common in home PCs are 'striping' (data is spread across two drives simultaneously to increase speed) and 'mirroring' (one drive is an exact dupe of the other, on-the-fly).

A standard IDE controller card just gives you more standard IDE ports.

3. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

A Raid card will allow you to run a Raid configuration on your computer with 2 or more hard drives. Depending on the card it should allow you to at least run a Raid 0, Raid 1, & Raid 5 configuration. Raid 0 or striping would allow you to use 2 hard drives so that the computer can write information to both at the same time increasing performance especially if you access or write large files to your machine on a regular basis. Raid 1 or mirroring would allow you to use 2 or more hard drives that create (as it states) a mirror image so that if one hard drive goes down you will not lose all your information. The downside of this is that you lose 1 hard drive. Raid 5 uses 3 or more hard drives. To keep your information safe it will use 1 drive as like a map to all your information. So if one of the drives goes down you simply need to replace the drive and it can be rebuilt.

The standard PCI card just gives you more IDE hookups for additional devices.
    Note that the Raid card can only use hard drives and not CD's, tape backups, etc.

KyleS

4. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

5. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Basically I just have too many IDE devices for the built in controller to handle.

I'd like to hook up my CDRW, DVD, ZIP and 2 HD. The HD don't need to be accessed at the same time, I just want to have 2 drives along with the other devices.

So for this, a $40 PCI card will suffice?

6. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

7. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I use my on board IDE for my cd and burner and I have have a PCI IDE 133 card for my 2 HD's. I actually have 2 PCI IDE cards, but my computer would not work with both PCI cards in place (didn't bother to waste time figuring that out seeing as how the 133 card came with the maxtor HD and I got it all for ultra cheap). So Mike in your case yeah, just go get a PCI IDE card. They are really cheap.

Put your HD's as the master on either your built in or PCI IDE channels and then put the other stuff spread around on whichever one you didn't use.

8. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Great!

That's what I needed.

9. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator

Usually by the time one box aquires 4 IDE devices with me it's time to build a new box! [​IMG]
    In all seriousness, just get the cheapest IDE pci card you can find... They've all worked for me in the past (as far back as 1993)

10. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor