What's new

I'd like to see Boingo: Farewell on DVD please. (1 Viewer)

Sam Hatch

Stunt Coordinator
Count me in! I end up watching my VHS set every October, but a DVD would be much appreciated. This, Portishead's 'PNYC' and Dead Can Dance's live video are the three I'd love to see most, but I haven't heard anything about them except for fans waiting for a release.
So who do we gripe to? Wasn't 'Farewell' an A&M home vid, and if so who would have the rights? I've often wanted to ask for the Portishead video, which was Polygram - but I have no idea where to start. MGM? There seems to be no lack of people tracking the rights to every single film, but who's keeping tabs on the music videos? And what about the children? Who'll save them?? :)
But back to Boingo, bring on that 5.1 mix! I can hear the drum solo in 'Insanity' swirling around the room as I type...
------------------
"Negative. I am a meat popsicle."

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
i'd pay good money to see anything by Oingo Boingo on dvd, but Farewell would certainly be at the top of the list.

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
I'd love to see Oingo Boingo on DVD. I've never seen this concert, but I'm sure it'll be great.
Do they play "Who Do You Want To Be" on it? That's my favorite.
If they do put it out..."perhaps I'll cross the other side, and walk around in... DRAAAAGGGGG!!!"
laugh.gif

Greg Risley

Second Unit
Oh Yeah! Even though this could never capture the energy of their live show, I still would snatch any Oingo Boingo DVD up in a minute. I would really like to see "URGH, A Music War" out on DVD also.
Greg

Rob Dawn

Stunt Coordinator
Well guys, Farewell just came out on DVD within the last week or so!
Not too many online places have it, and I couldn't find any info out about the sound - hopefully they remixed it to 5.1!! I'd bet it's full screen also, but I couldn't find any info on that either.
If anyone can find out some more specs on the DVD, please post them here.
Rob
-------------
My Equipment
[Edited last by Rob Dawn on September 18, 2001 at 11:12 AM]

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
Well, "Oingo Boingo - Farewell (Live at the Universal Amphitheater) definitely exists, having been released today to store. Here's what I found out:
Two-disc set
180 minutes
UPC: 44008963998
A&M VIDEO
Retail $29.98
I couldn't find any details regarding the audio, but I'd be really surprised if the DVD didn't have a 5.1 remix. Also, as for being full-screen, that a positive -- that's the way it was originally filmed, so that's how it'll be on the DVD (same at the earlier VHS tape).
Also, this DVD is currently available at many online stores. Amazon has it, even Barnes & Noble carries it. As for actual retail stores, it'll be harder to find. From what I've heard, your best bet would be going to your local Tower Records to find the disc (Best Buys, etc. apparently aren't carrying it yet).
I'll fill you folks in more on the specs later -- I'm definitely going to go out and pick this up today so I can relive that final concert (it was a GREAT live performance, and although the DVD isn't the same as being there, it'll be fairly close).
Happy hunting!
Jeff
------------------
Jeff Krispow
Former Reviewer
http://www.laserrot.com
[email protected]

Rey L

Stunt Coordinator
This is all that I could find:
Theatrical Release Year: 1996
Release Company: Universal Music & Video Distribution
Release Date: 09/18/2001
Runtime: 150 minutes
Recording Mode: Stereo
Rating: Not Rated
Color: Color
Digital Sound
Stereo Sound
DVD Features:
Region 1
Keep Case
Full Frame - 1.33
Audio:
Dolby Digital Stereo - English
PCM Stereo - English
Additional Release Material:
Documentary
Music Video - Little Girls
Music Video - Insanity
Interactive Features:
Interactive Menus
Song Access
Tracks:
1. Intro - Tender Lumplings
2. Insanity
3. Little Girls
4. Cinderella Undercover
5. Controller
6. Burn Me Up
7. Insects
8. No One Lives Forever
9. Hey!
10. Reptiles and Samurai
11. Water
12. I Am The Walrus
13. Nothing To Fear (But Fear Itself)
14. Piggies
15. We Close Our Eyes
16. Mary
17. Can't See (Useless)
18. Helpless
19. I'm So Bad
20. Change
21. Just Another Day
22. Stay
23. Who Do You Want To Be
24. On The Outside
25. Ain't This The Life
26. Wild Sex (In The Working Class)
27. Dead Man's Party
28. Nasty Habits
29. Clowns of Death
30. Grey Matter
31. No Spill Blood
32. Only A Lad

Rob Dawn

Stunt Coordinator
So it looks like this is just going to be in stereo.
If anyone gets this DVD, please post here the exact audio specifics.
Also, it looks like no new bonus stuff - just the Little Girls and Insanity videos. I would assume the backstage stuff prior to the concert are there as well.
Having chapter stops, etc. would be nice so you could go to your favorite song, skip the backstage stuff at the beginning, etc.
Again, if anyone gets this, please let us know ALL about the disc.
Thanks!
Rob
------------------
My Equipment
[Edited last by Rob Dawn on September 18, 2001 at 12:58 PM]

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Surprise, Surprise, my wife, who works at Universal Studios in the Home Video Marketing sector just brought this 2-disc set home for me! I have watched all of it. I am going to start a new thread with a review of this 2-disc set but I'll tell you some basics:
Yep, stereo is it (bummer no 5.1) and full frame video. This is a long and exhausting concert (and one that I came this close to attending :). If you are a true Boingo fan, forget about the 5.1 and just crank it up. The band covers a lot of ground and throws in a few surprises to boot. They've upped the tempo on a few songs in the beginning of the concert to almost head-banger level and the intensity gets almost overwhelming at times.
On disc two, we get a retrospective and documentary on the origins of the band from the early days of the Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo, a musical troupe. This is pretty interesting, seeing a few familiar faces in this somewhat experimental phase. Lots of behind the scenes of the concert itself, backstage, soundchecks, etc.
I had this concert on CD only before this, and as a devout OB fan, have to say I wasn't thrilled with it. The visuals totally changed that view for me. I would rank the concert footage right up there with Stop Making Sense but I still would have liked to have it in 5.1. If you're a Boingo fan this set has to be in your collection.
By the way, there was no booklet or leaflet of any kind inside the case. Just 2 discs, what you see is what you get.
[Edited last by David Tolsky on September 19, 2001 at 02:19 AM]

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
Well everyone, it took two days to track down a copy of the highly-elusive “Oingo Boingo - Farewell (Live at the Universal Amphitheatre): Halloween 1995” DVD, but it was definitely worth the effort. You’re all going to rejoice as well when you pick up your copy, too -- this is one hell of a terrific disc!
I finally found a copy at a somewhat distant Tower Video store... and on sale for a measly $19.95, too (that’s $10 off). It’s not available at most Tower Video locations (only a few stores actually ordered it), but if you can somehow find it at your local Tower, grab it up before the sale ends. From what I’ve been told, the disc was not solicited very well, which is why it’s so hard to find. Most stores only heard about it over the past couple of days, and mainly because customers were asking about it. Thankfully, A&M managed to get the word out to at least a few distributors early, and subsequently some stores were savvy enough to find out about and order the DVD. Although a few online stores DO have the title in stock, most do not -- this will apparently change sometime over the next few days (or next week at the latest) as the stores finally order and receive their copies. The same goes for most DVD-specific retail stores (i.e. Dave’s Video) and the standard brick-and-mortar stores (Best Buys, Frys, most of the Tower chain, etc.)
Well, enough about the distribution. I’m sure you’d rather hear about the disc itself, eh? Well, there’s honestly not too much I can say about this disc, since most of you already are familiar with the concert. But I can say that I’ve never seen it looking or sounding better, which is obvious since this is a huge step-up from that previous VHS version -- this DVD looks and sounds great!
One major thing I will mention has to do with the audio. As you’ve all heard by now, the disc doesn’t contain a Dolby Digital 5.1 remix (it’s DD 2.0 stereo), and frankly I’m not surprised. We are talking A&M Records here, not Warner (but then again, A&M is a subsidiary of Universal.... hmmmm....). However, the disc DOES have a Linear PCM 48/16 track! That’s right, PCM has made a rare appearance here!!! Yesssss!!!
So anyway, since I have an actual copy of the DVD in front of me, I’m sure you all want to know what the 100% real disc specs are... so here they come:
“Oingo Boingo - Farewell (Live at the Universal Amphitheatre): Halloween 1995”
Retail: $29.95
2-disc set
4:3 full frame video
Dolby Digital 2.0 Audio
PCM 48/16 Audio
Total run time: 197m23s
A&M Records
Catalog No. 440 089 639-9
UPC No. 0 44008 96399 8
Release Date: 09/18/2001
Discs come in a thicker-than-normal Keep Case (it’s about the size of a regular double-disc case), containing one of those “flip tray” inserts to hold one of the two discs. (Um...if the case is already the size of a double-disc case, why not jsut use a standard double disc case...???)
There is no booklet inside.
Disc One:
========
Run time: 160m13s (total)
Main Menu:
--------
Play Concert (the entire 160m13s show)
Song Selections
Special Features
-----------
Set-Up:
Continuous Play: On / Off
Audio Set: Dolby Digital 2.0 / PCM Audio
A Brief History: Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo
Backstage Trivia and Soundcheck
The Last Supper
The Aftermath
Easter Egg
-------
Very easy to find -- click on the little A&M logo in the lower right-hand
corner. This gives you access to a complete discography of the band
during its Oingo Boingo years. It’s made up of14 pages, one album
per page, and also includes complete track listings.
Under the “Special Features” menu, only the “Set-Up” option works on disc 1. If you try to select any of the other options, a little notice appears telling you to insert disc 2. Why these selections even appear in the first place is somewhat of a mystery to me...
The track listing posted previously by “Rey L” is 100% correct, so I won’t reprint it here. I think most Boingo fans will be overjoyed by Track 1, “Intro -- Tender Lumplings.” This is the short b&w film that Boingo always shows before each concert -- it takes place in a cool, small graveyard, with Elfman and two other band members popping up out of coffins and chanting a quick ditty to the audience. I always wanted a copy of this film in my collection, and I’m thankful that I finally have one. (Yes, I know it was on the VHS tape, but I hate VHS and was always hoping it would be available on a laserdisc. But it never happened...)
Disc Two:
========
Run time: 37m10s (total)
Main Menu:
--------
Play Concert
Song Selections
Special Features
-----------
Set-Up:
Continuous Play: On / Off
Audio Set: Dolby Digital 2.0 / PCM Audio (linear PCM 48/16)
A Brief History: Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo (6m53s)
Interviews with the band members + lots of cool home-video
footage of the band performing during their “Mystic Knights” phase.
Backstage Trivia and Soundcheck (9m23s)
Just what it says... backstage stuff, setup, antics, etc., etc., etc.
The Last Supper (4m49s)
The band eating at the commissary before the show, footage of
people waiting in line, more...
The Aftermath (7m31s)
A very exhausted Danny Elfman, other band members, fan shots, etc.
Easter Eggs (8m34s)
---------------
The same discography from Disc 1 is back again. Do the same thing you do
before -- click on the little A&M logo in the lower right-hand corner.
But that’s not all...
Also hidden on Disc 2 are the music videos for “Little Girls” and “Insanity”.
To find them, highlight “Special Features” and press LEFT on your remote.
The menu screen graphics will slightly change. Now press ENTER and watch
the videos... Another way to view the videos is to simply play Title 5,
Chapters1 and 2.
Under the “Main Menu” menu, only the “Special Features” options works on disc 2. If you try to select the “Play Concert” or “Song Selections” options, a little notice appears telling you to insert disc 1. (Looks familiar...?) Once again, why these selections are there just makes no sense -- the concert is obviously on the concert disc (disc 1). Duh...!
At first, the supplementary materials might not seem like a lot of stuff, especially after experiencing the massive concert undertaking on Disc 1,. However, they do complement the concert quite nicely. You get to see what goes on before and after the show, and better still, there’s the “A Brief History” section, which most of us Boingo fans will drool over. As I listed above, there’s a bunch of footage of them during the early “Mystic Knights” days. This brings back fond memories of my youth when I saw them perform outside at UCLA, and the entire band was wearing nothing by black Hefty garbage can bags. Needless to say, Boingo became a bit more sophisticated over the years...
However, no matter how good the supplementary materials are, and the concert itself, I find myself wishing for more. And it would have been easy to do, especially since disc 2 runs a scant 37m10s, leaving a LOT of unused space left over. Personally, I think it would have been great if all of the Oingo Boingo music videos were presented on the disc, instead of just the two that make appearances as hidden “Easter Eggs.” I’m be very surprised if that idea wasn’t tossed around by someone during the disc’s production phase. (To be fair, maybe there is some sort of licensing arrangement that prohibited any more from appearing. But I find it more likely that a separate music video disc will appear at some point, making it easier for A&M to part us from our money once again.)
So, to sum up, I think everyone will really get a kick out of this DVD... I know I certainly did. But now I’ve been spoiled and find myself wanting more... more... MORE!!! I’ve got my Oingo Boingo, two Weird Al discs and even The Residents... but where are the multitude of Kate Bush and Devo titles??? Bring ‘em on already...!
Best,
Jeff
[Edited last by Jeff Krispow on September 20, 2001 at 09:39 PM]

Sam Hatch

Stunt Coordinator
Well supplies, supplies...
Not only did Circuit City have this in stock, they had TWO copies! Hot damn!
Of course I had to watch a bit of it this morn, even though I didn't have much time to spare. I can't really gripe about the lack of a 5.1 mix, because the PCM track sounds fantastic!
And now there's tons of stage detail that I could never see on the VHS set. And the colours look great as well -- no more bleeding oranges and noisy purples. The tapes have now been officially 'handed down' to my parents.
All in all -- YESSS!!!
------------------
"Negative. I am a meat popsicle."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks