I'd like to get some feedback

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Darryl~P, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Darryl~P

Darryl~P Auditioning

I found myself with some $$ to blow so I went out and got a system. After searching for a week or two I ended up with this system. I'm very proud and happy with it and would love some feedback from some people in the know.
    Hitachi 57UWX20 HDTV,
    Denon AVR-1604 receiver,
    4 Mission M31 front and rear speakers,
    Klipsch Synergy SC5 center channel,
    Klipsch KSW10 down-facing sub

I'm glad i live in my own house because it ROCKS!!

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

not a bad setup at all. those are all quality names and are well respected.

my only question. why did you go with a separate brand center channel? typically you want all your speakers to be the same (check our faq on 'timbre matching').

but, other then that, i say "good job"!

3. Darryl~P

Darryl~P Auditioning

Basicly it was a money thing. I was looking at the Klipsch surround speakers but they were a bit more $$. The center channel was an ok price so i decided to keep it, also I liked the sound from it. Do you think that was a bad idea not use the same kind of speaker??

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

well, not necessarily. a couple of ways to think about it.

the center speaker is the most important speaker for ht. most of what you hear comes from it. so it's really important to have a center speaker you like.

in an "ideal world", all your speakers would be the same. timbre matching and all that. that being said, i suspect most listeners would not be able to tell the difference unless the speakers were drastically different. i'm not familiar with missions, but i suspect they're a relatively bright (or at least accurate) speaker. i know the klipsch are.

so, even though you bought different brands, you have two similarily performing speakers.

i don't think you made a huge error or anything. if you ever get bored, get a hold of the matching mission center speaker and see for yourself. that's really the only way you'll answer this question.

just make sure you can take the mission center speaker back from wherever you bought it.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I'd return the Klipsch center and get 1 or 2 more Mission M31's. Use one for the front center and keep one for the rear-center later. This way you will have 5 identical speakers in an array so sounds remain the same as they swirl from speaker to speaker. (While it's not a great movie, the recent release of S.W.A.T. has lots of good effects that travel around.)

The Hitachi is a great television. What HD source are you using: Satellite or Cable?

6. Darryl~P

Darryl~P Auditioning

I'm not using any HD source right now other that DVD. After I get my HT room finished I'm going to look and compare them. From what I know (or think I know) about the 2 I'll probably go with satellite. The price is about the same per month after all the hardware is bought, but with digital cable, not all the channals are digital as opposed with satellite where all channels are digital. As for the speakers, I wont have any room behind the seating area for a center speaker right now. In about 4-5 years when I sell my house and build another, I was going to make sure my new HT hade enough room for one and would purchase another Klipsch center for the rear. Any thought's ???

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

If you have the choice, dont mix brands of speakers (Subwoofers - that's ok to mix). But your system wont sound as good with a different center than the L/R.

Return the Klipsch and get 1 more M31 for the center.

I can't wait for you to put real HD video on that television. You are in for a real treat.

8. Darryl~P

Darryl~P Auditioning

Ok guys I put it to the test for the last coupe of nights

Myself and some friends watched "Underworld", "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", and the new "Tomb Raider". All of which have great sounds that go back and forth across the channels.

Nobody, including myself could hear any discrepancy in the sound quality. (what a relief, you guys had me worried)

I think I will take your advice though Ted and get that Mission center channel just to try it out.

Thanks for the input.

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

good job testing darryl. that's really the only way to do it! [​IMG]

be sure to let us know your upcoming findings too!