I'd like a refill please...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Steve Ridges, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Steve Ridges

Steve Ridges Stunt Coordinator

Ok. This is a big pet peeve of mine. Why is it that when you go to a restaurant and order water with your meal, it almost impossible to get your server to refill your glass?!? They simply ignore you. If you order other drinks such as coffee, it's almost impossible to empty your cup before they're there with a refill. This happens at just about every restaurant I've been to. It's really annoying. If its a cost issue, fine. Charge me for a coffee. I'd gladly pay to get the kind of service coffee drinkers do.

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

yeah, i've run into that problem too. not all the time, but definitely some of the time.

my guess is that water doesn't add to the bill, so the waiter ends up not getting as much of a tip???

however, most of the restaurants i go to usually have a bus-boy (or someone similar) who walks around specifically for filling up water glasses (or ice tea) - so it hasn't really bugged me too much.

i say if you're not getting the kind of service you want, show it when you leave your tip. if we get really great service my girlfriend will sometimes write something nice on the receipt. maybe you could do the same, but in the negative?

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

same problem here. I drink a lot of water with a meal, 2-3 glasses isn't a problem, more if it's spicy [​IMG]

4. BrettB

BrettB Producer

My guess is that the majority of people drink coffee, tea, whatever, and only a small minority of people drink water so it's just sort of out of the ordinary.

Perhaps you could explain the situation, very politely, to your waiter when he/she first takes your order.

5. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

*IF* I have water with a meal it's usually ALL I'm having to drink, so I'll usually ask if I can have a jug/carafe. If, for some reason, I can't, then they'd better be by the table often enough to fill me up.

I'm not even going to get in to the whole tipping thing. We've talked about that enough 'round here. [​IMG]

6. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> 2-3 glasses isn't a problem, more if it's spicy

You like spicy water? :b

7. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I never have that problem and I eat out a ton. It must be the places you go to.

8. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Steve,
    Are you being up front with your server about your H2O expectations?
    I think you are an exception, most people probably don't get more water, but there is nothing wrong with wanting more, you just need to be clear.
    As someone else suggested, ask for a pitcher. I can tell you from my ice tea needs that they will:
    1) Bring you a pitcher.
    2) Refuse, but tell you they'll keep an eye on your glass.
    3) Ask you to leave.
    This does relate to tipping of course, unlike the food which comes out of the kitchen, water is pretty much in the waitpersons control so I would start deducting percentages if it's not forthcoming.

9. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

10. Steve Ridges

Steve Ridges Stunt Coordinator

I'll try to be more upfront with my expectations next time. I just assumed that the server would be watching my glass just like everyone elses and when they see it's empty, come and ask if I'd like a refill. Do you coffee and ice tea drinkers have to specify that you will probably be wanting a refill?

The other day I was out to luch with a friend at a nice resturant. He had ice tea and I had water. Both of our glasses were empty. The waitress brought him another glass without having to be asked and left my glass untouched. I finally had to ask for a refill. What is up with that??

11. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

In every restaurant I've been in in California in the last 10 years you don't get any water at all unless you ask for it. Not poor service, just a PC nod to our water shortage.

12. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

13. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

14. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

15. Jay Heyl

Jay Heyl Stunt Coordinator

I've had many times when my ice tea was wanting a refill for a very long time. Sometimes you can't even find your server to ask for a refill.

That said, I think you need to have a little perspective on this. You're consuming a beverage that not only doesn't put any money in the owner's pocket, it costs the restaurant to provide it to you. (Ice, water filtration, glass washing, breakage, server's time, all add up.) Beverages are one of the items where restaurants usually make a huge profit. They're getting $1.75 and giving you $0.30 worth of ice tea or soda (plus the costs mentioned above).

If you really don't mind paying for the coffee, order a cup of coffee and a glass of ice water. When the server comes by to check the coffee you'll have an opportunity to ask for a water refill.

16. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I have noticed the same thing about the water refils. When I go to a restaurant I make sure I get my money's worth of drinks. Sometimes I will go through 5 or 6 glasses of tea. If they keep my tea filled they normally get a great tip. I normally drink and eat fast. I'm use to being on the run.

17. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

I am a big time restaurant water drinker - for years. I usually don't have a problem getting more water (and I always need 1 or 2 refills). I have even been known to go to the bathroom to refill when the server is not on top of things.

18. Dan Mc

Dan Mc Stunt Coordinator

I think that your problem just comes down to the physical properties of water...being that it is a clear substance. It's pretty easy to notice when a glass of tea or coke is empty from across the room, but having a clear substance, in a clear glass, would make it much less distinguishable.

I personally don't think that waiters care enough about what you are drinking to discriminate between water/non-water drinkers.

19. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

I think Dan nailed it perfectly. I always drink "club soda, no ice, with lime" and although it cost the same as any other pop, I almost never got it refilled unless I ask.

Regardless, when you're a table attendant, it's your job to check and do your job properly. Bad service, tiny or no tip. Simple.

Imagine if you're an accountant and you miscalculate something because zeros and nines looks somewhat similar and you still demand to get bonuses at the end of the year.

20. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

This also happens to me on occasion. I can usually down a glass of tea before the waitperson can leave the table. I use to get a bit frustrated chasing down people to get more tea or water or Sprite or whatever. Now, I take great pride in getting up and getting it myself. The reaction from the eatery is hilarious especially when the liquids are located in the kitchen. I never knew the hatred the kitchen crew had for the waitstaff until I started getting my own refills.