What's new

Icons of Screwball Comedy Vols 1/2 in August (1 Viewer)

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
This is great news! Nice to see Sony/Columbia back in the game! Especially with so many other studios dropping out of it, like Fox. Hard to believe that last year Fox came near to being the best studio when it came to releasing classic films. That seems like a very long time ago.

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
This is terrific news! If You Could Only Cook and Too Many Husbands happen to be two of my favorite Jean Arthur films. My Sister Eileen is fantastic! And with Theodora Goes Wild (my favorite Irene Dunne movie) in the next set, that's enough for me to buy it!

Keep up the awesome work Sony! I'm excited to see both Together Again and She Wouldn't Say Yes for the first time!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Too Many Husbands and My Sister Eileen were remade as musicals in the 1950's
Too Many Husbands became 3 for the Show and was Betty Grable's last musical.
My Sister Eileen kept its name in the remake. It might have been nice to have a set of both the original and the remake.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Gary, I don't see any reason for the set you suggested, since the My Sister Eileen remake is already available in dvd. And for the Grable remake, that I want very much, it could be included in a musical set.

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacqui
If someone had of told me at the beginning of the year that I would be purchasing more Sony/Columbia Classics than Warner Classics, I would have laughed at them.

Well done to Sony. Can't wait for their releases. Thank you for opening up your vaults!

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan

Well for $20 we'll get 4 movies on pressed discs and a couple of shorts thrown in. Beats the hell out of some other releases I could mention. ;)

danielmartin

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
Unattractive, yes, but still worth the sheckels. As you mentioned Livius, this kind of release is a refreshing change from what we've been seeing (and not seeing) over the past few months...

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
Horrible artwork but these movies are so good they don't need it!

Nice to see some shorts added as extras but are trailers included?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The covers look fine to me and seem to be the start of a series of releases. Hopefully enough of us will buy these releases and there will be more volumes of the Icons of Screwball Comedy.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I have never bought a DVD because of it's cover. It is what is between the covers that count. And both of these volumes count.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I have to agree with ahollis.I have never bought a dvd for it's cover artwork. If the cover artwork is good that's a bonus. I do understand that people believe that bad covers may turn off some buyers who are not familiar with the movies. But for me it's all about the movie.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
In today's Arts and Leisure section of The New York Times (and on his website), Dave Kehr has written a great piece about the 2 Icons of Slapstick Comedy box sets debuting on Tuesday.

It was quite a well-written and funny article/review, (though if Loretta Young were alive to read his bitchy observation of her she may not have found it so funny.) Most importantly, however in the first sentence, he mentions the "gorgeous" transfers of all 8 screwball comedies.

Amazon hopefully will ship these to me today so I get them for Tuesday, this is definitely my most-anticipated release in quite some time and I hope SONY releases additional Volumes soon!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I watched Theodora Goes Wild last night and found it very charming and funny, if not over the top in a lot of ways. The transfer was good and sound excellent. Tonight I will sit back for Too Many Husbands and A Night To Remember. Thank you Sony for these wonderful gems and please keep them coming.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I just hope these unassuming covers don't cost Sony any sales as it would be terrible to lose our last line of support on the classic home video front due to poor marketing choices. I don't really care one way or the other, I can't wait to pick these up... but they could be a bit more eye catching for the buying public I reckon. Then again, I'm sure any consumer of target interest, already knows what these are about. I cannot wait for street date!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks