What's new

Icons of Horror:4 Hammer Films - 10/14/08 (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Streets Oct 14th for $24.96 from Columbia. Up for pre-order at Amazon.

The Two Faces Of Dr. Jekyll,
The Curse Of The Mummy's Tomb
The Gorgon
Scream Of Fear

So happy to finally see these films on DVD, especially Scream of Fear & The Gorgan.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Just saw I put in the wrong year in the header. Could a Mod. please change this to 10/14/08, thanks!

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Finally!

The Gorgon was the first Hammer film I ever saw when I was a child. I'm excited about seeing in widescreen for the first time.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Great news! And I hope 2 things 1.) They have found a better copy of Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll as the VHS release from about 9 years ago was faded so bad it was hard to tell that it was in color. 2.) They continue with more Hammer collections since they still own:
Maniac; Brigand of Kandahar; Sword of Sherwood Forest; These are the Damned; The Crimson Blade; Camp on Blood Island (Maybe owned by Universal); Cash on Demand; Creatures the World Forgot; Yesterday's Enemy, The Snorkel, The Old Dark House. Enough for 2 or 3 more volumes. Keep em coming.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Great news, especially since the word on the street is that we won't be getting any new-to-R1-DVD vintage genre titles this Fall from either MGM or Universal (notwithstanding another dip for THE MUMMY (1932), and the welcome anamorphic releases of JOURNEY TO THE FAR SIDE OF THE SUN and MAN OF A THOUSAND FACES this Summer), so this will help soften the blow.

Beyond Columbia's remaing Hammer titles that Randy just mentioned, that mainly puts the the onus on Warner and MGM, as far as unreleased Hammer genre titles still MIA in R1--

Warner:

WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH (1969)
SHE (1965)
MOON ZERO TWO (1969)
HYSTERIA (1965)
CRESCENDO (1970)
(plus that restored print of HORROR OF DRACULA that played at Cannes)

MGM:

THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT (1956)
TWINS OF EVIL (1971)
HANDS OF THE RIPPER (1971)
VAMPIRE CIRCUS (1971)

On another board, a poster who's privy to what goes on at MGM (but who doesn't call the shots) said that last Fall's batch of "Midnite Movies" tanked, so we won't see any more this year, and perhaps ever. While I bought and enjoyed several of last year's MM batch (especially THE VAMPIRE / RETURN OF DRACULA), they weren't exactly the strongest catalog sci-fi and horror titles MGM had access to. I can't help but think that if we had instead gotten MGM's four major Hammer titles, plus good stuff like BLACK SABBATH (the dubbed AIP version, with Karloff's voice), BURN WITCH BURN, BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW, DIARY OF A MADMAN, MASTER OF THE WORLD, THE MANSTER (a legit, non-public domain release) and THE TIME TRAVELERS --and if MGM bothered to cross-promote the line on some of their higher-profile genre DVD releases, maybe they would've moved more units and turned a tidier profit. Oh well...

ahollis

Premium
Real Name
Allen
The New York Times ran an article last week about MGM and its problems. It went a little in depth on their agreement with Fox to distribute their DVD’s. It seems that this is the last year of a guaranteed payment from Fox and from now until the contract is over, in a few years, MGM will receive only a percentage of the sales. I would hope that this will give MGM a reason to re do some of their titles that could use some brushing up and also give them incentive to go deeper into their vault. While they have never been a company that listened to suggestions well, it would do them good to monitor this and other forums to hear what people want.

With the guaranteed money being paid each year, which the article stated was around 600 million, MGM did not have real reason to explore their catalogue. Now that they need money to jump start production of 10 in-house films. What better way than to get back to the number of releases they were doing during their heyday before their sale to Sony and Comcast.
Here to hoping we will see some to the great horror classics that they still have locked up. AIP had a lot of great bad films that I would certainly love to put on my shelf.

George Reis

Stunt Coordinator

I do hope you're right, but MGM's release schedule for the rest of the year in terms of catalog titles looks grim. Ironically, it seems that at this time, they are turning their back on their library titles. No Midnite Movies this fall, and the only two Halloween titles seem to be SEs of CHILD'S PLAY and PUMPKINHEAD, not at all too thrilling for fans of classic and older horror.

You're right about the "great bad" AIP films that still need to be released from the Lion, and there's still SO MANY not on DVD!

MGM should have released their own Hammer set on the same October date as Sony's (which I anticipate to be one of the best horror DVD releases of the year), with QUATERMASS XPERIMENT, TWINS OF EVIL, HANDS OF THE RIPPER and last but not least, VAMPIRE CIRCUS. There's about as much chance of that happening this year as me making it as a finalist on "So You Think You Can Dance."

It is also ironic that even though MGM has abandoned their Midnite Movies and Soul Cinema lines in terms of DVD releases, they just recently announced the marketing of products associated with the two branded lines. They even mentioned BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE (yet there's not even an MGM DVD release on it!). Some of the products coming include action figures of BLACULA and IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE and some KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE figures.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Updated my list above after checking my McFarland Hammer Filmography last night. There are also a few more Crime Dramas from Columbia that I didn't add but I'm sure most of us will be happy if Columbia just releases 75% of whats on my list above.

CULTMAN1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
this is indeed good news! I would hope that Columbia will release ICONS OF WAR as their next Hammer selection: The Snorkel, Yesterdays Enemy, Camp on Blood Island etc. Lets keep fingers crossed....
I am hugely disappointed that neither MGM or Universal are planning Halloween horror promotions with so much in their respective libraries still to be released...

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Looks like Sony are giving fans the chance to vote for the cover art of the new set, via another of those Amazon polls here.

All are pretty decent aren't they? I'll take number three please...

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Got to give Sony a big round of cheers for even doing this. They have made huge improvements overnight. Finally releasing more catalog titles with nice transfers and now actually listening to feedback. Many people justly complained about the bad cover art for the "Icons of Adventure" set and instead of just ignoring the complaints they put this poll up for the next set for fans to decide. Well done Sony!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Interesting... I voted #1

It would be nice to see larger images, though I agree they're all pretty good. I like them in numerical order, though I'm not sure why so many are taken with the third cover with all the floating heads... The first two look much better to me.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Because it's the only one to feature all the films, and I do like the still from 'The Gorgon' (someone's bound to yell 'spoiler!' at this point)

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

none of the icon sets do if I remember, maybe a trailer if anything. The Karloff one a few years ago barely had a menu.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald

Apparently, according to Sony employee "Precode" (posting on another forum), the trailers for the films will be included in the set (he said he doesn't consider trailers as "extras", per se, rather as a natural part of the basic DVD package), however, there will be no commentaries, vintage shorts, serial chapters, etc, due to the extras budget being used up on the recently-released ICONS OF ADVENTURE Hammer set.

Also, he said it looks like we'll finally be getting an R1 edition of A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH (a.k.a. STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN) this year (probably the reason for that very recent pre-order hiccup for it at Amazon.com), as well as the director's cut of Michael Powell's AGE OF CONSENT. And maybe a Charley Chase shorts collection and a set of the three Toho sci-fi flicks (THE H-MAN, BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE and MOTHRA) sometime in 2009, but nothing firm yet (treat these as encouraging "Rumor Mill" type items).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarvelManiac68