Ico for the PS2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Ricky Hustle, Apr 25, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

I recently re-acquired a PS2 because the wife wanted to play Kingdom Hearts. I picked up Ico for myself because the gameplay premise really interested me.

Funny think is, I actually returned it to the store because I thought there was a problem with the disc. The text is all blurry, and the game itself is rendered at such low resolution and looks extremely pixelated (which I gather is because this is an older, CD based game). Spoiled by both my Xbox and Gamecube, I thought the game was somehow deective! At the store we ran the game, and it looked similar to what it looked like on my setup. I have the PS2 hooked up with the standars red-white-yellow composite cables to a widescreen 37 inch Panasonic Tau, and the higher-definition only serves to magnify the graphic imperfections.

I took the game home, and started playing. Once I was able to look past the pixelation, it really IS a cool looking game, I love it!

I have both the Xbox and the Cube hooked up via component cables, does the PS2 really benefit at all from the upgrade? I've been holding off thinking that the higher detail would not mean a thing on either HDTV I own, especially the 65inch Mits.

Anyone else play this game?

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I don't think that is pixelation, it's a graphical effect to make the game seem foggy or overly sunny at different points.

Yeah, the game is amazing. I can't wait for the sequel (whether it's a sequel or a game in the same vein, it's coming).

3. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

4. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Rick,

I would probably at least use an svideo hook up for your PS2, the RCA yellow video line was good for the NES, but the PS2 could use a little more. I have mine hooked up by component cable, but I didn't notice much difference from svideo as most games are still 480i. I did notice an improvement from RCA to svideo though.

-J

5. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Excellent game. But it's far too short, and has no real replay value. But a heck of a lot of fun while it lasts.

6. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

On my 32" WEGA ICO looks incredible.. though as others have said its a wonderful gaming experience.

7. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Ico is the best game that no one played. Well okay; maybe not no one but, it sales, from what I've read, weren't all that high.

They should've been.

I haven't played a more atmosphere and ethereal game ever. It seemed to be the epitome of "less is more" type of ideology. The silence only broken by wind/birds, the delapidated old creepy castle, the simple bond between you and Yorda: Amazing.

...I'm still not sure I completely understand the end.

So, the queen says that Yorda's body was the vessel for her to be resurrected in. Was that blackened likeness of Yorda actually Yorda? And if so, who the hell was that in the boat, after the ending credits? Shouldn't it have been the resurrected Queen?

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Derrik:
    Yorda's mother, the Dark Queen (who has probably the coolest looking hair I've ever seen a videogame), was going to take over Yorda's body and then replace her soul with her own so that she could continue to live. The black Yorda that you saved from the dark ICOs near the end was Yorda, and the girl in the boat that saved ICO was Yorda. I haven't played the game in a while, but I think that's what I remember.

9. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

10. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Ico is the most beautiful game I have ever played. I am proud to have played it.