What's new

iCloud account attempted access by someone other then me? (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I just got an email from Apple that said someone tried to get into my iCloud account. It said it was near New York on the 14th of April at 4:58pm. That timing made me suspicious. It’s only 10:30 am right now in California. So it couldn’t have been from the future. The From: address simply said iCloud on the email. There was a link to click to verify and to change my password. I did click it but immediately closed the window as it didn’t feel right. So I suspect it was phishing for passwords.

It did have the usual note saying if it was me, then I don’t have to do anything.

Anyone seen this before?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Guys, I just got an email from Apple that said someone tried to get into my iCloud account. It said it was near New York on the 14th of April at 4:58pm. That timing made me suspicious. It’s only 10:30 am right now in California. So it couldn’t have been from the future. The From: address simply said iCloud on the email. There was a link to click to verify and to change my password. I did click it but immediately closed the window as it didn’t feel right. So I suspect it was phishing for passwords.

It did have the usual note saying if it was me, then I don’t have to do anything.

Anyone seen this before?
I had two phone calls from Apple support saying I should not use my Apple devices and to call them at a certain number. I considered both calls, scam attempts as if I called that number and given out some account information you know what would have happened next.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Never follow an email link asking for your password.

Look at the actual link address. They’re usually obvious as to whether they’re not legitimate.

If in doubt, check the ID site to make sure there’s not an unknown device showing logged in.
https://appleid.apple.com/#!&page=signin

Turn on Two Factor Authentication, if you haven’t.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Rule #1: These warnings are always scams.

Rule #2: When in doubt, refer to Rule #1.

The ONLY action to take. Click on nothing, close the email, and go to the address you KNOW is the actual site, log in and make certain nothing is amiss.

Finally, refer to Rule #1.

The real problem is, I just received a call from what sounded like a computer warning me that the Sheriff was on the way to arrest me for delinquent taxes, and the only way to stop it was to call back and arrange payment. What do I do?

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
The rule I use is unless I did something to specifically generate an email, such as a password reset, I never click on links in emails. There is simply no reason to do so. Just go to the site directly and sign in to your account. If the company in question is trying to alert you to something, you will find out after you sign in.

-Keith

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That’s the thing that had me, I actually did sign into a new device. I had updated an iPad an hour or two before to the new iOS update. So I had gone through the set up procedure of that iPad. And I did get the usual official email from Apple that said, “you appear to have signed into FaceTime, etc on a new device. If so, then you don’t need to do anything”. So that fake message later in the morning had some basis to give me pause and almost fall for it. :). But yes, I know in my head, you never respond to those messages but contact Apple directly myself rather then use the links in the email.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
The real problem is, I just received a call from what sounded like a computer warning me that the Sheriff was on the way to arrest me for delinquent taxes, and the only way to stop it was to call back and arrange payment. What do I do?

On one TV news program recently, they played video of where such a criminal called the sheriff's department and proceeded to try this scam on a deputy. The deputy played along and asked, in a naive way, if he would be arrested if he failed to make the payment. The callers were eager to assure him that he would be in deep trouble.

Unfortunately, the deputy did not arrange a sting operation to meet the criminals so that they could be jailed. I would have loved to have seen that.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We get hit by the scam calls from supposed Apple support in waves. We'll get 6 to 10 calls (all from different spoofed numbers) in a single day, then nothing for a week or three, then bombarded again. I block the numbers as they come in.

Very frustrating. But they are totally wasting their time by calling my house.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks