Ichi The Killer R3 NTSC vs R2 PAL SE

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dean L, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Dean L

Dean L Stunt Coordinator

I love this movie. [​IMG]
    I own the R3 NTSC movie only version.
    A R2 PAL SE release is now available that I have yet to see.
    Is it superior or the same for picture, sound, etc?
    Are the extras worth the extra $$?
    Any comments would be apreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson Stunt Coordinator

Without having seen it for quality (mine is en route), the R2 SE is uncut, whereas the HK version you have is heavily edited for content.

3. Dean L

Dean L Stunt Coordinator

Cool Jeff. I'm debating about ordering it.
    If you get around to it, post what you think of the quality when you get it.
    I kinda weary since I have only 2 discs for my new Cyberhome 500 for PAL.
    One w/very poor PAL conversion (Sword Of Vengeance[​IMG] ) and one w/superb PAL conversion (John Woo's The KIller[​IMG] )

4. DieterW

DieterW Agent

The 2 DVD edition contains several extras, but it was said prior to the release of this DVD, that it would contain a commentary track. This, however, is not the case and I have seen ppl complaining on other forums (especially forums concerning "the genre") because of this. Aside that, everything seems to be ok. It depends on what you expect from a movie as Ichi The Killer. Personally, I don't see the need for a commentary track... [​IMG]

And that "Sword of Vengeance" DVD, is it from ViPCO?

5. Dean L

Dean L Stunt Coordinator

aw well.
    i ordered my SE PAL copy from poker industries ( http://65.61.157.35 ) on fri so guess i'll find out for myself.

thanks for the reply dieter.
    may i ask what the complaints were on other forums and/or do you (or anyone else) have any links for what you mentioned?
    thanks in advance.

6. DieterW

DieterW Agent

The only bad comment they have is concerning the audio commentary track. The rest seems to be all OK, certainly because this movie (at least, I hope we are discussing the Dutch edition) is (1) totally UNCUT and (2) contains English subs. This is from SGM:

Ok, so I double checked the DVD.... seems like there's no audio commentary *at all
    If it's there it's an easter egg, if technically possible at all.... *
    The bonus disc does offer A LOT of cool stuff though.
    An interview with cast members (including the luscious Alien) and Miike, trailers, a "digital press kit" and behind the scenes stuff. The main disc holds the movie itself with JAP or dubbed ENG audio and some subs (ENG/DUT/ETC..). It's nice to see how much fun they had making this film and all the "special" stuff , *
    Oh and in case you wonder : this film packs a real punch in the gore / violence / abuse department.... like the "climax scene" of Audition but then 124 min. long

Complete thread content can be found here: http://cgi.sexgoremutants.force9.co....num=1044569930
    SGM website: www.sexgoremutants.co.uk

7. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson Stunt Coordinator

I got mine yesterday, and it looks good. Very comparable to what I recall of the Japanese disc, which I hadn't watched in a while in preparation for this one. This is the version of the movie to get, if you want English subs. Subs are big and easily readable. Sound is Japanese 5.1, English 4.0. Didn't bother to sample the dub track. No commentaries, as mentioned, but there are interviews with cast members and Miike.

8. Dean L

Dean L Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the link Dieter.
    And yes Jeff, seriously doubt I'll bother listening to the english dub.
    Hope I get it soon. can't wait!

9. Dean L

Dean L Stunt Coordinator

Woo Hoo!!!
    Recieved it today!

To my eyes and ears;
    the sound and picture are both a drastic improvement over the R3 version.

(The Cyberhome 500 does the PAL conversion perfect btw)[​IMG]

Can't wait to check out Disc 2!

10. MattWel

MattWel Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering if anybody's Dutch 2 disc Ichi the Killer came with an insert? I just picked it up and mine didn't have one. thanks.

11. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    No insert, just a slipcase.

12. MattWel

MattWel Stunt Coordinator

thanks Bleddyn. is the description of the movie on the back in English on yours? It seems there were two different versions of the Dutch version. I hear Worldwide Cinema mentioned alot when discussing this disc but mine says Dutch Filmworks and everything is in English, there is no mention of Worldwide Cinema anywhere. Are these the same company? I have seen shots of the back cover art of the Worldwide Cinema and it's not in English. The last four digits of the UPC code on mine and on the Worldwide Cinema that I have seen on the net are different, but the first nine are the same.