What's new

ICED EARTH "Alive in Athens" -- The DVD (1 Viewer)

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I just picked this up yesterday. Founding member/mainstay Jon Schaffer has warned IE's fans that this DVD is just a "cash in" on the part of his former record label, but if you're a fan like me, you NEED this DVD. It's nice to have the visual accompaniment to what I surprisingly consider one of the greatest live albums of all time.

It's FAR from perfect, but it's better than I expected. There were only three cameras utilized, and the editing could have been MUCH better, but almost three hours of Barlow-fronted Iced Earth should certainly be worth the 15 bucks to a fan.

One MAJOR caveat: The DTS track is completely out of sync with the video and is a big distraction. The 2.0 mix is fine.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Thanks for the info! Had no idea this was coming out.

(There's an old Iron Maiden DVD, Raising Hell, that also has an awful 5.1 mix and a fine 2.0 mix. Go figure!)

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I was going to bring up the similar situation to the "Raising Hell" DVD in my initial post, but it was frightfully early and the thought escaped me.

The difference here is that the 5.1 track sounds pretty damn good, it's just that the soundtrack doesn't sync with the video. The audio is about five seconds behind the video. It's most apparent when Schaffer and Tarnowski step up to the mike for backing vocals. The 2.0 track sounds just like the CD.

And, man, are these Greek IE fans packed together like sardines or what?

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Haven't seen IE live yet. They played BB King's in NYC on the "Glorious Burden" tour (with Children of Bodom and Evergrey supporting...killer triple bill!), but the show sold out by the time I got my act together to buy tickets.

I don't go to many shows these days (maybe twice a year: I went to the Unholy Alliance show in June, and Porcupine Tree last month...a banner year for me!), but I really want to see Iced Earth live. I'm so glad this DVD was released, flaws and all!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Zounds, that's a cool bill! I would really love to catch Evergrey sometime. Good to hear that they play in the US sometimes. :)

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator

I saw ripper when he was with Judas Priest at the Quest in Minneapolis. The guy is the real deal and can sing.

Was kinda funny though. Ripper was there with baggy shorts, jersey, and lots of chains and jewerly. Then there was the rest of rhe Madien crue still dressing like they always have.

Show was awesome.

Eric Carl

Stunt Coordinator

I don't want to think too much about it though, I just hope it works. I do know that Schaffer will not force it through; "The Glorious Burden" album is proof that Schaffer knows when things are just not right, and when it is time for a change.

-Eric.

M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mate
Ha! You should seen crowd in Croatia on Maiden concert few years ago. I was never so close to death... it was insane. You don't have that in US or UK - because it's normal there to see all that big names every now and than. But in some other parts of the world (like Eastern Europe or South America) we could only dream about western rock/pop/whatever stars in our countries. So now, in the last 10-15 years when we finally have a chance to see something... of course you'll have crowd a 100 times more crazy. I buy a lot of music DVD's and always that US/UK crowd seems dead to me - because I know what would it be like in my country. But I think somewhere in the middle is the best solution. Tomorrow I'll get a chance to see "Alive in Athens", my friend just bought it.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don

You're probably right about that, but I've been in PLENTY of crazy crowds at shows over the years. I've also seen plenty of crazy "bouncers" and "security personnel," which may also account for why American audiences may seem subdued.

There also seems to be a bigger audience for this kind of "old school" metal in Europe, and the fans just seem more dedicated: lots of longhairs, jean jackets loaded with patches, leather and studs. It's like 1979-1983 never ended (and I mean that in a GOOD way!).

Eric Carl

Stunt Coordinator

Well, as I recall...

A new vocalist, Tim Owens, was brought into replace Matt Barlow; who left ICED EARTH because he felt that music was not important anymore. IIRC, Schaeffer made a statement, because he felt that if he did not address the situation promptly, people would assume the wrong thing.

I remember hearing that Matt did record something, for "The Glorious Burdern" album, but that both he and Schaeffer felt that his heart wasn't in it anymore. That is when Matt left...

As to why he no longer felt that music was important, check the ICED EARTH website (http://icedearth.com/wwwbb_main.php) look under 2003-06-02; I can see why, but I do not think we should discuss such things here.

-Eric

Eric Carl

Stunt Coordinator
To clarify my answer...

What I mean, is that we, as the fans, should see the lineup change as something good, and not the end of ICED EARTH. We have to believe that Tim Owens will add to the group, and not take away.

If Jon Schaeffer really wanted to release the CD, he would have been the main vocalist on the record, and then he could go find the new vocalist, for the tour*. Instead, he went out and found a new vocalist, first; so, IMO, he did not force it out.

*IMO, he would go find a new vocalist, because of the fact that Schaeffer seems focused on improving the group; if he was the vocalist he would have a harder time focusing on other members, during gigs, and, therefore, would have a harder time telling the others, what could be done better.

-Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks