What's new

Ice Wine (1 Viewer)

Greg Morse

Stunt Coordinator
Last time I looked was about a year ago crossing the border and IIRC the Inniskillin was $45ish for a 375ml bottle at duty free. I just looked at wine.com and they have it on special for $69.99 from $79.99, also for a 375ml bottle.

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
A '95 Margaux starts at around $300/bottle...a '99 Szepsy Aszu 6 putts is around $110 (half bottle), a '90 Huet Vouvray is around $140, a '97 d'Yquem around $130 (half bottle) ('90 would be considerably more expensive) and a '93 Urziger Wurzgarten Auslese (two sweetness levels below Trockenbeerenauslese) is around $55. I can't find current prices for Tokaji Aszuessencia or Essencia but IIRC, a '96 Szepsy Essencia would sell for around $300 a half bottle

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Believe me, Lew...I'm no oenophile or even close. But put into context, back then I knew of this premier gran cru and its going price.

So, when I found I could snatch up two bottles soon after its release for a couple hundred each, the 'bargain hunter' in me sprung.

Since then, I've ratcheted back on the purchases, both in volume and in price. Outside of a few other great bargains, I've stuck with a sweet spot of $10 - $30 / bottle of wine - great values are to be found within this range.

Which brings me to this problem...I've long lusted for a taste of d'Yquem or Tokaji. But they're really beyond what I'm willing to pay anymore.

Can you guys/gals recommend same type wines that don't break the bank? Preferably, my ceiling is $50-$75 for a desert wine. Although, I've had outstanding results in the $30-$50 for auslese.

Ari, just saw your earlier post on Szepsy and Kiralyudvar and will check with my local vintner to see stock.

Finally, hopefully the recent Supreme Court ruling will soon signal the end of the Helms era of alcohol sales, particularly over the internet. Suprisingly, Costco has a good selection of wines at nice prices.

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
Peter, at $50-$75 you're probably looking at Kiralyudvar which is a winery co-owned by Istvan Szepsy who's also the chief winemaker. Their single-vineyard wines and their cuvee fall into your price range and are quite yummy. The '99 and '00 vintages were both very good.

It's probably most available in the Northeast and is imported/distributed by Robert Chadderdon so you could ask your vintner if they do business with him.

Other alternatives in your price range would be Vouvray, Sauternes, Barsac, Cadillac, Loupiac, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks