Ice Wine

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MarkHastings, May 17, 2005.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Anyone had this before? I hear it's mainly a Canadian thing, but a vineyard in Rhode Island makes it. I just tried some and it wasn't bad.

If you're not familiar it's more of a desert wine...I guess they wait 'till the 3rd frost of the season and make the wine from the frozen grapes. The grapes are so ripe that they are incredibly sweet. You can only drink a little shot glassful at a time, but it's pretty neat.

EDIT: Here's a more accurate decsription:
    http://white-on.com/taste/ice-wine.htm

2. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Eiswein actually originated in Germany. Sort of a late-harvest Trokenbeerenauslese. Bring plenty of DM...er, Euros.

[​IMG]

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

huh, never heard of it.

4. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I love Eiswein! Yummy yummy stuff! Oh, and very expensive too.

5. Abby_B

Abby_B Supporting Actor

I've had it...yum!

6. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

And here I thought the Icy Hot Stuntaz were releasing their own vintage [​IMG]

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

The reason for the additional sweetness is not in the ripeness of the grapes, but rather that the freezing has increased the percentage of the sugar content in the grapes by reducing the amount of water.

Trokenbeerenauslese (and Berenauslese) German wines (and the French Sauternes, such as the great Chateau d'Yquem) gain their high sugar content when the grapes are infected with a mold, botrytis cinerea or noble rot that reduces the water content.

The wines made from botrytis infected grapes have a distinctive flavor that is immediately identifiable. Eisweins never have that additional complexity, no matter how sweet or luscious they may be.

8. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

Oh this stuff is good. There a few vineyards in my area that produce Ice Wine. Half the size of a a regular bottle of wine and twice the price, but very sweet.

Paul

9. MarkHastings

I'll have to see if the wine shops carry any, but I hear they are hard to find. Actually I don't know if you can even get this without getting it straight from a vineyard?

10. Greg Morse

Greg Morse Stunt Coordinator

Inniskillin is fairly easy to find in New England at least in my neck of the woods. The NH state owned liquor stores on 95 carry it and the duty frees along the Canadian border carry it. I know I've seen it at other Packies along the way, but it's pretty damn expensive outside of duty free.

11. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

To translate for my fellow Boston area poster, a "Packie" is short for "Package Store", which means liquor store. I know I always got strange looks when I used this term out of state and just want to clarify.[​IMG]

12. Greg Morse

The most I ever got made fun of for calling it a Packie is when I came to Boston from CT for college. It was BU, though, which is just Jersey and Long Island moved north.

13. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

[​IMG]

14. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

I'd love to pick up a bottle of '90 Chateau d'Yquem, but I'm all tapped out after buying 2 bottles of '95 Chateau Margaux. [​IMG]

Anyway, for those whose budget and sensibilities don't allow for the sauterne, d'Yquem, look at the eisweins, Inniskillin or even a better value, Hillebrand.

However, a dream on my list is to enrapture in the finish of a bottle of d'Yquem with my wife.

It's one of those at least try once in your life pursuits.

15. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    Is this something Trader Joe's would have?

16. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Does it come in a box? If it doesn't come in a box I want no part of it. [​IMG]

17. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

For those who love German Rieslings and Sauternes, do yourselves a favor and try some Hungarian Tokaji. Szepsy and Kiralyudvar are my two favorite producers. Similar style but with more acidity to hold up to the sugar. I'd start at 5- or 6-putts....or if you want to splurge you can go straight to aszuessencia or essencia....

Some Vouvrays are great as well....Domaine Huet comes to mind...

18. Greg Morse

I've only had the Royal Tokaji 5 putts, which seems to be a middling brand, but I absolutely love it. Can't wait to happen upon some of the better brands. The NH stores only seem to carry the Royal Tokaji and the only other store I see it at has the bottles positioned in a rack next to a south facing window. Nothing like a little direct sunlight on clear bottles. Idiots.

Port is my true love. If I could only find bottles of Burmester 30 in the states.

19. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

[​IMG]

20. MarkHastings

Everyone keeps talking about the price, what are the prices of these bottles?