What's new

Ice storm! (1 Viewer)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Well Austin, TX is basically shutdown. Everything has a half to 1" (or in some places 3 inches) of ice over it. The traffic cams on the expressways are showing people spinning out. They are telling everyone to not even try going anywhere till it starts melting, but its only 23 outside so it'll be a while.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
Same here in Dallas...

having gone to college in Michigan for 8 years, this stuff doesnt faze me, but its nice to have a dayoff.

-- Matt

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
No ice here, but a good 6" of snow at my house with other areas of the state reporting up to 10". Pretty much unheard of for Arkansas. What will be bad is tonight and into tomorrow when we are hit by the follow up ice storm which is on its way.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Yeah I went to school in ohio, its not the ice that scares me its the other people that don't have a clue what it is.
I don't know about Ohio. They seem pretty clueless about snow and ice. I went to college near Dayton and whenever it snowed they all ended up in ditches. I drove a V-6 S-10 pickup with a stick and didn't have any problems, yet somehow they would drive their SUVs and FWD cars way too slow and end up in the ditches.

Seth

Ike

Screenwriter
Yep, shoe deep here. I went out with my camcorder and filmed the pond behind my house. Good pictures, but I'm sure awful driving.

Channel 8 (the Spirit of Texas, you know) said this was the worst snow storm to hit these parts in 20 years.

Todd_B

Second Unit
I feel for you guys.

We just came out of a whopper of an ice storm in here in Lexington, KY. Power was out to some 60k homes. Traffic lights and trees were down all over town.

I had no juice for 5 days, had to retreat to my parents home 2 counties over, our company had to enact their disaster recover plan, and I ended up hauling off over 8 truck loads of timber from my backyard.

Here are some pics:
http://home.insightbb.com/~toddabaxt...fronttree1.jpg
http://home.insightbb.com/~toddabaxt.../sideview1.jpg
http://home.insightbb.com/~toddabaxt.../backyard1.jpg
http://home.insightbb.com/~toddabaxt.../backyard2.jpg
http://home.insightbb.com/~toddabaxt...orm/fence1.jpg
http://home.insightbb.com/~toddabaxt...orm/fence2.jpg

Todd B

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Glad I'm not down there right now. A few years ago when I was in UT I had to drive from Houston to Austin for the beginning of the winter semester and the roads were completely covered in ice. It's not fun having a 3 hour drive turn into about 6 hours because you can't go over 20 mph or so and you have to keep stopping at places along the way to clear the ice off your windshield :) Now that I think of it, that that might have been the day that Austin reportedly set the US record for most car accidents in one night...something like over 500 or so.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Today is a snow day for everyone. No one is at work. My dad and I went to check on my new house (that I'm moving into thursday) and the roads are a mess. Its only 26 here.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Today is a snow day for everyone. No one is at work.
Yup, that's pretty much how it is up here in Dallas too. My wife's work asked for volunteers to come in though!! Crazy!!

Right now, the big concern is the next rain front that's moving in tonight.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I was off today also. Amazingly I got pizza delivered! Papa John's is great. I called my boss late this morning and he and the owner of my company had made it in, but they said it was an option for everyone else.

Ike, are you in Dallas? Because this ain't snow, its ice. I didn't see any snow coming down at all yesterday. That's the worst part. I can handle driving in snow, I grew up in Missouri, but the ice I don't like.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
It didn't even get above freezing in Austin today, so almost all that ice has stayed around. I went to the grocery store in the late afternoon, and roads were passable. Bridges were iced pretty badly though.

I wonder what tomorrow morning will bring? I don't think my boss is going to give everyone another day off tomorrow... :frowning:

P.S. - If you're from Austin and reading this thread, go over to Local Home Theater Forum Meets and check out the thread about the next Austin HTF meet!!! I saw a lot of new names in this thread - people who haven't yet been to an HTF meet. Hope to see you guys at the next meet on March 22...

March 22 HTF Meet at Sound Mind Audio

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I called my boss late this morning and he and the owner of my company had made it in, but they said it was an option for everyone else.
Must be nice. Up here there's no such thing as a storm bad enough to close the office.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
It didn't even get above freezing in Austin today, so almost all that ice has stayed around.
It didn't even come close to freezing point around here in Dallas :-/ Light misting tonight which is going to freeze wherever it hits. The news forecasts are saying they're expecting the roads to be worse tomorrow morning than they've been in the last 24 hours.

Not looking good for an easy ride into work. Not worried about mine (I'm on flexitime) but my wife's work is likely to want them all in tomorrow. Better be a late start at the very least...

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
The view from my front door this morning:

Everything that looks like water on the ground is ice, up to half an inch thick.

I had the day off work today, but it's supposed to get above freezing at about 9am tomorrow so I suppose I'll be going in for 10am.

What's REALLY amazing to me is that Sunday was 80 degrees and beautiful. I wore shorts.

Austin weather is messed up. I love it.

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
OH MY GOSH! your houses are so far apart!

hehe the houses around my area are like 3 feet apart it's so sad...sometimes i can hear my neighbors taking a crap...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks