Ice storm in Kansas City...power finally back on!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Taylor, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Matt Taylor

Matt Taylor Stunt Coordinator

We had a terrible ice storm pass through the Kansas City area Tuesday through Thursday that caused millions of dollars in damage. We lost many limbs and some fell on our house. We lost our power at 7:15 on Wednesday and just got it back last night after 80 hours of cold and darkness in our house. We will have to replace all the food in our fridge, but that's no big deal. Power crews from 13 states came in to lend a hand in restoring the 400,000+ customers who lost power in this storm.

It's amazing how much we depend on our electricity in our society. If you ask me what my best piece of HT gear is...it's the damn electrical box!!!

2. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

I heard it was really bad up there. I live down the road in Emporia and we got our fair share of ice, although not as severe. We have band practice up there a couple times a week and it had to be canceled due to the power being out at our place of practice. One of the guys in the band is a maintenance supervisor at a big apartment complex in Johnson County and he had all the headaches he could handle due to the nasty weather.

3. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Matt, here in Manhattan we had about 10" of snow and very little ice. I went home, Overland Park, over the weekend and I was absolutely blown away by the amount of ice still on the ground. And I couldn't believe how many freakin' trees were down or had huge broken limbs. Luckily for my sister and her husband, where I "live" in OP, their power never went out. I don't know what I would have done without power for 80+ hours!

4. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Like, a year ago our power went out for three days on Christmas night. I know what you went through-constantly cold, hardly nothing to do, lighting by candlelight. Ugh...

5. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I live in Shawnee and am STILL without power as of Monday morning! Who do I have to bribe to get my power restored?

6. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    I was very lucky. I live in the northland, and never lost power. Almost every friend I have lost power. Several are still without power today.

I was amazed at the amount of damage in Independence (where I work). It looks like a battle zone, with all the downed trees and lines.

7. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    I live in South Overland Park and was also one of the lucky ones not to lose power. Probably 70% of the employees in my department (about 25 total) lost power and all but two are back on-line this morning. Our office lost power for about 6 hours Thursday and a couple of hours on Friday. My biggest headache was my son's daycare being without power Thursday and Friday.

I spent about 6 hours this weekend trimming, pulling, pushing, and dragging branches to the curb for pick-up at a later date.

Check out the "Local meets" thread for a feeler I am putting out for a possible gathering at my place late in March.

Mike

8. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    This is precisely what happened to me last year. I spent almost a week in the dark with no power after the December ice storms hit Arkansas in 2000. Except for being very cold, it was an interesting ordeal.

9. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I'm sure it was the same storm, Clinton. I know it hit Arkansas even worse than it hit us, I think.

10. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Yeah parts of Arkansas were the hardest hit during the whole storm. After I left the fitness center this evening, I ran by WalMart to pick up a couple things and noticed people rushing in and buying all the bread and milk off the shelves. There was some lady who had at least a dozen loaves of break and six gallons of milk in her buggy. I politely asked someone what the rush was about and he looked at me like I was a loon and said, "They say we're gonna get snow tomorrow. Gotta stock up on supplies."
    When I got back home, I checked the forecast and saw where we have a chance of snow/sleet tomorrow afternoon and into Wednesday morning, but it will be in the 50s by Thursday and in the mid 60s by Friday.
    [rant]Why the hell do people panic and just about kill each other rushing to get supplies (all the bread and milk they can find) for a winter storm which will last no longer than a day & a half, even if it somehow manages to get here?[/rant] [​IMG]

11. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I live in Overland Park. I can only assume that my continous power was due to the underground power. 119th through 135th was pretty solid, while the rest was largely out.

12. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I still have no power... they are now saying that they will have eceryone back by Friday night. What gets me is that I live in an apartment complex, so there are a couple of 100 other people without light, heat or hot water, not just me. I would have thought they would hit the outages that effect the most number of people first, but thats not the case as they have been taking care of individual houses since Saturday! It does not seem a very efficient way of going about this.