Ice Station Zebra?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Todd B, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Todd B

Todd B Stunt Coordinator

Is there any news on an Ice Station Zebra DVD? Who has the rights?

Todd
    [email protected]

2. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Warner owns the rights. It wasn't asked about in the chat, I would have liked to know if this is being worked on,

3. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I planned on asking about it & some other 1960's M-G-M titles. But I could not get picked to ask a question.

4. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Buuuuurrrrr. Gee, I never thought this was a particularly good film. So obviously soundstagey. All that fake snow and everything.

5. Jesse H.

Jesse H. Auditioning

Maybe Warner can release it later this year as a tie-in with 'The Aviator'.

6. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston Supporting Actor

Jack Theakston
    Why spend time watching this one on anything other than a Cinerama screen?

7. Peter Kline

Jack,

It's not a Cinerama movie. It was "Presented" in Cinerama in theatres that had the deeply curved screens, not filmed in the process. Most people saw it on standard non-curved screens. MGM had made a deal to film 5 true Cinerama films (the 3 camera process). After "The Wonderful World Of The Brothers Grimm" and "How The West Was Won" were filmed in the process MGM abandoned it because of the expense and theatre owners objections to continue to have to use 3 projectors (3 projectionists and a person to man the sound system). Cheap. So MGM released a couple of films under the original contract that were filmed in 70mm using the Cinerama name. The others were "Grand Prix" and "2001". They had none of the attributes of the real thing and look fine on home video (although seeing them on a big screen is still better).

Peter

8. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston Supporting Actor

Jack Theakston
    Peter,

Which is why I added "screen" after Cinerama [​IMG]

There's nothing like seeing the film on anything other than a screen of that magnitude.

9. John Nelson

John Nelson Stunt Coordinator

Ah, "Grand Prix."
    Still pining for that one, with the Speedvision documentary to go with it.

10. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

All I remember is the movie was a favorite of Howard Hughes. He watched the film print repeatedly. Not necessarily an endorsement considering it was Howard. [​IMG]

11. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

There is no accounting for taste. [​IMG] You don't like it. I really like it, & I'm glad that Mr Hughes & I share a liking for this decent action film.

12. Peter Kline

Mr. Hughes was not in the most sane frame of mind and body at the end of his life when the film escaped... er mean came out. Not saying you share his malady though. [​IMG]

13. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Well I'm not exactly "mainstream". [​IMG] But I believe there is an audience out there that would buy it should it get a DVD release. But if not, I still have my LD.

14. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Call me perverse but I have no problem at all with films shot on a soundstage. Casablanca wasn't shot in North Africa but the Warner Brothers stages in Burbank, California and every time I watch it, I totally believe I'm in Casablanca. Ditto Ice Station Zebra though of course, it's not in Casablanca's league but though I have the wide screen roadshow laser disc, I'd love to have a spiffed up DVD of it.

15. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I think what Peter is really saying is that the drama in the film isn't compelling enough to overcome its stagebound nature [​IMG]

16. BarryRR

BarryRR Agent

I apologize for this recurring anecdote of mine, but I couldn't resist, given the theme of this thread--when I was 12 I actually stood on the fakey stagey set of ICE STATION ZEBRA! It was MGM in 1967, at a time when backlot tours were given. The whole arctic set was there, with the top of a fake sub having broken through the plastic snow--snow that I still have in a glass bottle. Oddly, the tour guide said the film would probably be released in 1970, which seemed eons away at the time. Of course it was released the following year. Even more odd is that I have yet to see the film. :b

17. Peter Kline

RobertR hit it on the head. It's an awfully weak coldwar melodrama made even moreso by poor special effects. The film was widely panned at the time for its "cheesy" look as well. Horrible Metrocolor that made snow look blue. I saw it at the Dome, I believe.

18. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
  19. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

Alisatair MacLean's novel is a lot better.

20. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I guess I'm the only one here defending this film. A few years ago a film with a roughly similar story was released on DVD. It is called "Atomic Submarine". I don't think anyone will call "Atomic Submarine" anything but a bad film. I think it is a bad film, but to me that is its charm. To me "Ice Station Zebra" is not as bad as "Atomic Submarine", but I still find viewing it a pleasurable experience just like I find watching "Atomic Submarine" a pleasurable experiemce. That's my opinion & I hope I'm not the only person who reads this forum who holds an opinion like this.