Ice Cream

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay H, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Question for the masses:

do you think you get more ice cream if you order:

1)A Cup/dish?

or

2)A Cone?

Discuss...

Jay

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

No.

When I was running an ice cream stand, we just counted scoops. The only difference is that when you order a cone, you're more likely to have some fall off and hit the ground.

But that's made up for by how delicious sugar cones are.

3. andrew markworthy

A dumb Brit writes:

(1) what the **** is a dish or cup of ice cream?

(2) a cone is simply a hollow cone of sugary biscuit (sorry, American chums I of course mean cookie)holding the scoop (or scoops) of ice cream. Cones come in two basic varieties - a single cone or a double cone (obviuosly the double topped cone supports more ice cream). There are two main permutations:

(a) whether you want a '99' (basically an ice cream cone with a chocolate flake stuck in the ice cream)

(b) whether you have the ice cream in a scoop or extruded in a soft paste from a machine.

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    But Jason, you mean every scoop is exactly the same mass?

You can pack a cone with ice cream before scooping it in, but then a dish can hold more ice cream before catastrophic failure. So perhaps it balances out.

Andrew, you can't get ice cream in a cup/dish in the UK? It's for those cone-challenged US people for which the ice cream in a dish is targetted for. There's that stigmata of having your double scoop chocolate chip ice cream flattened on the pavement for which the dish attracts!

jay

5. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

Haagen Daaz or Ben & Jerry's?

I'm sort of kidding, but "premium" ice creams have less air incorporated into them, so total mass won't necessarily be comparable regardless of the cone/cup question. Weigh a pint of HD and a pint of a store brand and see what you get.

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Someone paid for two scoops, they got two scoops, regardless of what we put those scoops in, and I didn't use different sized scoops for cones and dishes.

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Well Jason, you must have a very exacting arm!

Jay

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

LOL - it's also for those of us that don't care for cones. I just want ice cream. [​IMG]

andrew, you surely must have hot fudge sundaes? A cup (or dish) of ice cream is the same concept, just without the toppings.

and back to the topic, I always thought a 2 scoop cup and a 2 scoop cone contained the same amount of ice cream. It's just that the cone costs more because you can eat the 'container' over the dish.

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Usually the cone only costs more if you get a fancy waffle cone. A sugar cone or plain/cake style cone is generally the same as a dish.

10. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I don't like cones, so I always get ice cream in a dish.

To answer the question, I think they're about the same. You may lose some more with a cone due to the ice cream melting or falling off.