What's new

International Ice Cold in Alex (1958)- 60th Anniversary Blu-Ray coming 2/19/18 (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
StudioCanal have officially announced that they celebrate the 60th anniversary of director J. Lee Thompson's adventure film Ice Cold in Alex (1958) with a brand new Blu-ray release, which will be available for purchase on February 19.

Synopsis: 1942. The Libyan war zone, North Africa. After a German invasion a British ambulance crew are forced to evacuate their base but become separated from the rest of their unit. Somehow they must make it to Alexandria, but how? Their only hope is a dilapidated ambulance named "Katy" and an irrational, alcoholic soldier known as Captain Anson. Facing landmines, Nazi troops, spies and the merciless, scorching, brutal environment of the desert, can Captain Anson face his demons and make the road to hell a journey to freedom?

Special Features and Technical Specs:
  • BRAND NEW RESTORATION of the film
  • NEW Steve Chibnall on J. Lee Thompson
  • NEW Interview with Melanie Williams - Senior Lecturer in Film Studies, University of East Anglia
  • Interview with Sylvia Syms
  • John Mills Home Video Footage
  • Original Trailer
  • Behind The Scenes Stills Gallery
  • Extended Clip from A Very British War Movie Documentary
  • Optional English SDH subtitles for the main feature
9109_tn.jpg

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
If the new restoration is sufficiently better then I may replace my existing Region B blu - it was one of the first Region B releases that I bough plus of course I really enjoy it!

Regards,

I also bought the earlier release of this by StudioCanal on Blu-ray in their Vintage Classics range and I really like that presentation.

The movie is so excellent though, that I would like to have it in the best incarnation available, so I’ll buy this “restoration” if there’s any hint that it’s even slightly superior to the previous release.

Plus, there is the thrill of Ice Cold in Alex announced in a thread by Alex that’s hard to pass up!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The current blu ray is excellent so I suspect any improvement would be marginal. Too marginal to double dip. Still, I will read reviews to see what they have to say.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Can anyone shed light on the correct running time of this film? The numbers I am seeing are all over the place, from 76 minutes (U.S. release) to 138 minutes ("pre-censored" release per IMDB). Maltin's guide says that the U.K. version is 132 minutes. Amazon.co.uk says that the new Blu-ray will be 124 minutes.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Sometimes they'll transpose the running time from a PAL version. 124 minutes sounds like it's about the PAL version of 132 min.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I watched the new Studio Canal Blu-ray last night. It looks terrific, but I have not seen the prior release so I can't do a comparison. It's a terrific film, parts of which reminded me of The Wages of Fear. It also plays on a region one Panasonic Blu-ray player using the Stop-Stop-Top Menu workaround.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched the new Studio Canal Blu-ray last night. It looks terrific, but I have not seen the prior release so I can't do a comparison. It's a terrific film, parts of which reminded me of The Wages of Fear. It also plays on a region one Panasonic Blu-ray player using the Stop-Stop-Top Menu workaround.

The previous Blu-ray disc is also excellent. I agree about the similarity with The Wages Of Fear. I much prefer Ice Cold In Alex because all the hazards and problems arise from the narrative and the situation. In The Wages Of Fear it seems to me that the hazards were imposed arbitrarily and artificially just to create suspense sequences.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
I watched it last night also and it is in my opinion hugely improved over the previous release with all the artifacts and dropouts removed of which there were numerous also the overall picture is much sharper and clearer .

However Blu-ray.com basically give it the thumbs down .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks