Ice Age--truth in packaging!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Schaffer, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

On the back of the Ice Age case, the 1:33 version is described as "pan & scan", not "fullframe". This is the first time I've seen this on a dvd package--kudos to Fox for telling it like it is.

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

That's a great thing. I didn't know this, thanks.

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

How about something like "We've chopped some of the picture off for you. Some actors have been removed to fit your screen." [​IMG] Seriously, though, that's good to see.
    This is definitely an improvement over the "no black bars" sticker from (if I recall) Sound of Music. [​IMG]

4. Lars_J

Lars_J Stunt Coordinator

So it's really Pan & Scan, then?

I thought they might recompose for the 1.33:1 aspect ratio, just like Pixar does for their films nowadays.

5. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

On the back of the cropped Attack of the Clones box, it says "Pan'n'scan" on the back, but unfortunately it says "Fullscreen version" on the front.

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

All the Fox titles I've checked that are pan and scan actually say "Pan and scan" on the back. That "FULL SCREEN VERSION" on the front has got to go, though!

7. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

The film truly is Pan and Scan. There is clear and obvious cropping in every scene on the 4:3 version.

-Lyle J.P.

8. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

The banner across the top of the back cover reads, "INCLUDES FULL SCREEN AND WIDESCREEN VERSIONS", but in the little "bonus features" tab it says, "Pan & Scan version (aspect ratio 1.33:1)".

So is "Scrat's Missing Adventure" the part that was cut of the frame in the P&S version?