What's new

ICBM out of phase? (1 Viewer)

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
I am using the ICBM with the Pioneer DV-45A. When listening to DVD-A/SACD through the ICBM, I have to change the phase switch on my subs to "180 degrees out" to get the proper bass output. When bypassing the ICBM and listening to CD's or DTS music (utilizing the bass management in the Denon 4802)I have to again, flip the phase switch on the subs. Has anyone run into this problem? I have confirmed that the phase is definitely 180 Deg. out between the ICBM and the Denon 4802. I definitely want to keep the ICBM and am wondering if I could build a cable with reverse polarity and use it in the "sub-out" position from the ICBM to the analog sub input on the Denon? Would not this be the same as flipping the phase switch on the subs? Trying to come up with a fix that would keep me from having to change the phase on the subs when I engage the ICBM. Any ideas???

Mike Sloan

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
I definitely want to keep the ICBM and am wondering if I could build a cable with reverse polarity and use it in the "sub-out" position from the ICBM to the analog sub input on the Denon?...
You can't do this. This will result in the signal getting shorted to ground and the ground being connected to the signal input. You probably won't get any sound, and may overload the output of the ICBM.

You could do this, if an isolating transformer was used inline with the connection. This will make the ground 'float' so that it will work. Radio shack sells an isolating transformer, aka ground loop isolator, Catalog #: 270-054. I wouldn't recommend it in a hi-fi system, but for a subwoofer only, it is perfectly fine. Buy some of these or these too, so that you can solder a new connector onto it, reversing the wires of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks