ICBM or towers for SACD/DVDA ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bobby T, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Would it be better to get the ICBM or a pair of front towers for SACD and DVDA?

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Whether or not you get front towers the ICBM is a must for SACD or DVD-A IMO. Potentially there's lots of bass in the center and rears that will not be heard with just front L/R towers.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Many advise having full-range speakers all around for the reason Philip stated. Full-range front speakers are a start, however. One need not upgrade the entire speaker system at once.

Even if one buys full-range speakers all around, one should consider the ICBM anyway since bass management for DVD-Audio and SACD does not allow control of the crossover frequency.

4. Alan Wild

Alan Wild Stunt Coordinator

Both.
    [​IMG]
    In all seriousness, I have Paradigm Studio/100's up front and I have my ICBM configured to cross them over at 40Hz. That way most of frequency spectrum is being played by the 100's and only the really low bass (which they really weren't deisgned to handle anyway) goes to the sub.
    However, my surrounds and center are crossed-over at 80Hz because they just don't play as low.
    ... and I can really tell a difference. Listen to track 3 on the Blue Man Groups's "Audio" and play with the knobs of the ICBM... it get's interesting. [​IMG]
    -Alan

5. KonradN

KonradN Stunt Coordinator

I believe sony's high end receivers have xover for each channel from 40-200hz in 10hz increments. Anybody know if these can be applied to the multi-channel inputs?

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Konrad, my Sony STR-V444ES receiver has the crossover-frequency settings you described. I'll add that you can set individual crossovers for the front left/right pair, center channel, and rear left/right pairs. However, these settings cannot be applied to the 5.1-channel inputs. I would guess that the current 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES operate the same way. The only receiver I am aware of that has bass management for multi-channel inputs is the Denon AVR-5800.

7. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Thanks all. I think I'll get the ICBM then look into getting towers.