What's new

IBM-DOS 3.20 Worth anything? (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
It would probably run on a modern Pentium, but you'll only get to use 640K of that 128 MB of RAM you have.
I'm completely rusty on this for obvious reasons, but couldn't you use XMS or EMS, or something like that?
oh for salad days when we tinkered with autoexec.bat and config.sys files :D
as an aside, I recently installed an old game, Master of Orion (1, not 2) on my Pentium running Windows 98. I couldn't get the sound options to run, since in the "good old days" soundcards were manually set with IRQ and DMA addresses. nowadays Windows automatically handles it, but I couldn't figure out how to tell the old program where to send sound. so I played in silence. :crazy:

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
At my old office I found a copy of Windows 3.0 still in the shrinkwrap.

I honestly considered putting it on Ebay.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Ahh, the memories.
I guess there are a lot of PC nerds on this forum... surprise. My tribute to DOS was quitting using my PC for three years when Windows 3.1 pretty much started taking over. I didn't like it then...
I remeber having to use "slowing" programs to make sure my games didn't go too fast...
memories...
Why don't you me a copy of that their program:D

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>The biggest problem with DOS is that it doesn't multitask (not true multitasking at least)

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Windows 9x does do cooperative multitasking, which is a form of "true" multitasking.
What it does not support is preemptive multitasking where the processor is forced to give itself up to other applications. Instead, Win9x gives the processor time slice to a program with the expectation that the program will always cleanly release it for the next application to use -- the application that is running in that time space is expected to "cooperate" with other applications. We know how well THAT works, don't we? :rolleyes
It does not, however, do multiprocessing - you're stuck with one processor.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>Actually, Windows 9x does do cooperative multitasking, which is a form of "true" multitasking.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
BTW, a couple years ago, a set of floppy based Win95 can fetch anywhere from $40 to $80 at EBay, I don't think DOS (of any variety) have ever worth anything.
Believe it or not, IBM released PC DOS 2000 which is a year-2000-compliant version of PC DOS.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
This is so off topic, but somone mentioned MAC and I always wondered why apple doesnt make their OS so that it can run on a PC based platform. That would truly give windows a run for its money. I have no beefs with the Mac OS but I do have a problem paying $5000 for a computer when its PC equivelant costs $1400

StanleyK

Grip
This is so off topic, but somone mentioned MAC and I always wondered why apple doesnt make their OS so that it can run on a PC based platform. That would truly give windows a run for its money. I have no beefs with the Mac OS but I do have a problem paying $5000 for a computer when its PC equivelant costs $1400
Nothing like a little hyperbole there Charles. Please show me the $5000 Apple computer and it's EXACT PC equivalent at $1400.

Please keep in mind that a 1Ghz G4 Processor is at MINIMUM 2x faster than a 1GHz Pentium 4. The G4 is a RISC chip and the Pentium IV is a CISC chip. HUGE differences.

Also Apple makes both the HARDWARE and the SOFTWARE, and therefore everything works together. Want to see TRUE plug & play, not plug & pray? Get a Mac. The only reason it works is because of the tight coherence between The hardware and the MacOS.

Anyway, much to my chagrin, it appears that Apple is readying a move to the Intel platform, because Motorola won't get off their ass and keep the PowerPC chip up to date. So you may very well get your wish in a year or two.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Well, the "fact" an apple processor is at least 2X faster is certainly disputable. Show me hard evidence that a 1GHz G4 will perform operations at the same speed as a 2GHz P4. If apple users constantly espouse the superiority of their OS, why dont they put their money where their mouth is. If the new OSX or whatever it is is really based on Linux and Linux is cross platform, I dont see what the deal is. And even given your claim that Macs are 2x faster, I can get a 2GHz pc from Accubyte.com with a half gig of ram (although no Dell, still a pretty reputable shop) for $475 while the cheapest 1GHz G4 I can find is here http://www.costcentral.com/proddetai...PartNum=330117 for $2200 and I dont even know if their authorized. While not $5000, its still 4 times as much. 1400 X 4 is actually 5600, so Im not that far off in terms of ratio.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, how did Apple vs PC ever get in here???
Now for something that's not that far off subject, in today's SF Chronicle (www.sfgate.com), there's an article on people collecting computer stuff, and there's a long writeup about people collecting AOL freebie CDs (Garbage? Junk? Weird?? Yes ;) ), so may be that old DOS does worth something to somebody. Original IBM OS2 floppies, anybody ???

StanleyK

Grip
Charles, please see this:
http://www.apple.com/g4/myth/
And FYI... OS X isn't based on Linux. It's based on the Mach Kernel, a variant of BSD Unix rewritten for Apple's hardware and termed the Darwin core.
As for your "comparison" and I do use that term loosely. As long as 1 processor and some RAM is all that constitues a "machine" to you, then you are welcome to believe that "comparison"
And your price searching skills need a little improvement. Here is what Apple is offering direct to consumers. i.e. RETAIL PRICE:
$1799
Dual 867MHz PowerPC G4
& 1MB L3 cache/processor
167MHz System Bus
256MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM
80GB Ultra ATA drive
SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
ATI Radeon 9000 Pro
56K internal modem
You will please take note that this machine is a dual processor G4. Also because it's an Apple, 10/100 and now Gigabit ethernet come Built-in. Most machines come AirPort ready for 802.11 WiFi and all Macs come standard with 2 USB and a FireWire port. The newer Macs also include a DVI video out port...standard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks