IB woofers question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Johnny Garvin, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Johnny Garvin

Hi guys,
    I'm getting ready to begin my IB sub project this weekend and what I have is an older SVS woofer and I can get one of their improved 12" drivers.My question is: would it degrade the sound any to use an old SVS driver and the new driver together in an IB sub? I'm thinking that it would not hurt the sound quality at all since they share the same design except for some mods to the newer driver.The IB will be powered by the PE 250watt amp. Please give me your thoughts on this. Thanks.

2. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

The one problem is that the new driver has about 6db more headroom. So when the old driver reaches it's limits the new driver will still be operating cleanly. I have an old driver and a new one and am thinking about the same problem it presents for my original and clone SVS tubes. The pair should be louder but I think the older driver may need to be calibrated 6db lower so that they both reach their limits at the same input level.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I agree I wouldn't bother ordering a new driver but put a wanted to buy ad in the for sale area and see if anyone is willing to sell you their old SVS driver...either that or ask Tom to see if they have any left.

4. Johnny Garvin

Thanks for the responses. I found late last night that the driver is the old SVS driver and not the improved version. The guy made a simple mistake. After a few email exchanges things became clear. This is a GREAT forum for info and I really have learned alot by visiting it on a daily basis. I'm so looking forward to hear my IB roar soon. I don't know how my wife will respond but hey.... I'll let you know how things turn out. Once again thanks a million guys!! [​IMG]