IB power requirements

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndyHangartner, Jan 1, 2003.

1. AndyHangartner

AndyHangartner Stunt Coordinator

I have been working on an IB model with four Shiva's. It seems that the lower the amp power the better. I get about 105 db flat response with slight eq'ing with max excursion about 16 hz using a 10 hz subsonic filter and 30 watts to each speaker. As I increase power the frequency I reach x-max rapidly goes up. Are these setups really that efficient?
    andy

2. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    Yes, it is indeed more efficient at low frequencies. Remember to think of this as requiring less power to produce the same SPL. Obviously your excursion limited output at any given frequency is in fact the same for a Shiva in a small sealed box or an IB. The difference is in the power required to reach that limit, and the how much EQ, if any, is needed to produce a given response. If both are set to provide the same response, a small sealed box will exhibit more power compression. Also remember to factor in the boundaries of the room you will be installing this in. The more gradual roll-off of most drivers in an IB make for a nice mate to the room's transfer function, or can be easily corrected with simple EQ.

3. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I'd consider using the 12" or 15" IB drivers from parts express. They might eliminate the need for EQing. Or you could experiment with RDO with the Shivas.