IB Dilemma in new theater

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Aaron D, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Aaron D

Aaron D Stunt Coordinator

I am in the planning stages for another "budget" home theater in a new house and am intrigued by the IB concept. Right now I have a Tempest sono that has served me quite well, but am intrigued at the prospect at increasing overall output.

I would like to use my current Tempest repurposed with another new Tempest in a transition box emptying from the wall behind my mains all powered by my Outlaw M.

? is, is the IB sub setup a viable option? I spent time building the sono and love the results, this seems kinda "cheap and easy" in comparison. A big question is, would it be OK for music?

I am also concerned with rattling the rest of the house. I'd like to isolate as much as possible to avoid disturbing the wife if I'm watching a movie and she's not. Several of the applications I've read about reside in the attic or basement, but as long as the space is large enough (ie- 10x the Qts), can it be just a large room that would be behind the front wall of the theater?

Thanks,
    A

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

You want to start reading the Cult of the infinitely baffled. Start with the FAQ and look at some of the pictures. I recently completed an IB project in my house and it's the most amazing bass I've ever heard for a very very low price. However, it does shake the whole friggin' house since it's in the basement.

3. Aaron D

Aaron D Stunt Coordinator

Philip, thanks for your reply, I have spent some time over there already (after I posted this), so my questions have since been answered.

Your sub is similar to what I want to do, are you completely happy with it?

A

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Yes. I am extremely satisfied with it. Best home theater project I've ever done short of buying a new house.