IB Cult woofers interfering with ceiling mounts?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by DanielKellmii, Mar 27, 2004.

1. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

OK, I have been convinced that an IB is the way to go. It will be my first project. Eventually, I want to get a front projector which leads to my question. If I have an Infinite Baffel sub in the ceiling, will it cause a ceiling mounted projector mount to shake? I have the option of putting it in a wall behind the listening position, but everywhere I read it says that is a bad idea. My room is 17 feet long, so I really don't have any other options other than a ceiling mount.
    I haven't done that much research yet on the front projector because that is about 1 or 2 years away from happening.

2. Paul_Wright

Paul_Wright Auditioning

Check in over at the IB Cult. Some of the guys there are using ceiling mounted projectors...they can give you actual experience.

My guess is that, if you use a "balanced plenum" design mounted to a ceiling/wall intersection, vibration won't be much different than a good box sub. (big box subs also move multiple room surfaces) The sound however, will be far different!

geocities.com/pnwright3/Gemini_subs.html

(Sorry, I don't post here often enough to include a real link)

3. DanielKellmii

Paul, thanks for the link. But where is the IB Cult that I can check?

4. Paul_Wright

Paul_Wright Auditioning

Daniel,
    Here is most of the link to "The Cult of the Infinitely Baffled". (Wish they'd let me post **&&^^ full links!) Hope you can figure it out...if not Google will get you there. If you still have trouble finding it, let me know.

I suggest reading the FAQs and reference links (especially the Harmon links) on the page...then ask questions to fill in any remaining gaps.

You're gonna like IB!
    Paul

f20.parsimony.net/forum36475/

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

6. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

Daniel, I have an IB in the ceiling and also plan to get a ceiling mounted projector in the future. I guess I'll cross the ceiling vibration road when I get there. The ceiling does definitely vibrate, the whole house vibrates. Even if you were to mount the sub into the wall, which I assume is coupled to the ceiling, the ceiling will vibrate.

Vibration is a good thing.[​IMG]

7. DanielKellmii

Kevin, let me know. I tried over at the "cult" but I haven't found anything yet. I know it is there, but it is a pretty basic "forum." But by just poking around, you can find a lot of good information.

8. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit