I wrote a book - wanna read it?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by streeter, Jun 5, 2005.

1. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Note to moderators: If this violates HTF policy, please delete this message. I just thought that some members might find it interesting that one of their fellow HTFers has written a book.

You might have already learned about this in my signature, but now the book is finally out and I'm very proud of it. Over the past two years I have spent quite a bit of time writing, researching and interviewing for my book. It's about Saturday Night Live writer/filmmaker Tom Schiller.

Among the people I interviewed are Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Chevy Chase (all three very cool dudes - especially Murray). I even got to have dinner with Murray, which was a dream come true. I also interviewed Mike Myers, Zach Galligan, Teri Garr, Victoria Jackson, Lorne Michaels, Judy Belushi and many others. And of course Tom Schiller.

The book focuses on Tom's career, which started with a 30-minute film he made with Henry Miller. Then he joined Saturday Night Live in 1975, and between 1977 and 1980 he directed about a dozen short films. You might remember a 90 year-old John Belushi dancing on the graves of his cast mates in the ironic short "Don't Look Back in Anger." Or Gilda Radner in the Fellini homage "La Dolce Gilda." You might also remember one of SNL's classic sketches - "Samurai Hotel." It was the first of Belushi's Samurai sketches, and it was written by Schiller.

In 1982 Tom made a feature film with Zach Galligan and Bill Murray called "Nothing Lasts Forever." It was a black-and-white sci-fi comedy, but it was never released. I thought it was brilliant - so did the Cannes Film Festival, which invited it two years in a row (sadly, MGM wouldn't allow it to show). The whole story behind how the film ended up unreleased is covered in the book. It was a very sad experience for not only Tom, but also Lorne Michaels, since this was his very first film.

Schiller went back to SNL in 1988 where he made short films until 1994. The highlight of this era was "Love is a Dream", a romantic musical starring Phil Hartman and Jan Hooks.

So, if you are into Saturday Night Live or classic films, definitely give this a try. You can get it at amazon at a nice discount, or you can order it directly through my site if you want a signed copy [​IMG]

On a similar topic - are there other HTF members who have written books?

Again, sorry if this falls under some rule of 'self-promotion.'

2. Steve Felix

Steve Felix Supporting Actor

Sounds interesting, it goes on my "to read" list. Is there any way to see Nothing Lasts Forever?

I think self promotion is OK as long as it isn't your first and only post. [​IMG]

Enough reason to write a book right there.

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    It sounds fascinating, but I tried visiting the web site, and it complained about an unknown mime type of application/x-oleobject. Then none of the links on the left side would work.

- Steve

4. Nathan Eddy

Nathan Eddy Second Unit

Well, since you asked, yeah, I've written a book. It's not published yet, but I've had a few agents interested. One agent passed me on through several levels (query letter, request for first three chapters, and then request for the entire manuscript). Unfortunately, he died while reading it! So, I've been revising and looking for another agent.

My book has nothing to do with film or entertainment. It's a fantasy novel with a heavy philosophical foundation. I've been working on it for a long time, and I'm hopeful that it will get published. The agent who requested the entire manuscript was very well established in the industry and handled some pretty big names in s.f./fantasy. He liked it enough after reading 70 pages to want more, so I take it as a good sign--despite the unfortunate circumstances surrounding it.

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Well, you can find out about the book itself by looking it up on Amazon.com, BN.com or any other on-line bookseller. (Which I just did - it is in my Amazon shopping cart and I'll order it the next time I put a full order together.) Of course, if you go to those sites you don't get the thumbnail video of John Belushi dancing on the graves of the original SNL cast. (Man, I laughed at that film the first time it aired. [​IMG])

Later,

Joe

6. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Steve - the site isn't very friendly to mozilla and firefox [​IMG] Any chance you use either of those?

If you want more info you can go to yahoo news or google news and do a search for bill murray, lorne michaels, tom schiller, nothing lost forever or me and you'll find the full press release.

7. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Sounds like an interesting book... but I think I'll wait for the movie..... just kidding. [​IMG]

Did Murray elaborate on the Murray/Chase rivalry? Apparently they didn't get along very well which makes that ad-libbed scene in Carl Spackler's house in "Caddyshack" all the more interesting to watch.

8. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Congrats Michael.

[​IMG]

For those of you that can't find the book it is available on Amazon or at Barnes and Noble.

9. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael

Murray didn't talk about it but Chevy did - though it's not mentioned in the book. Chevy said that he and Murray got together not too long ago and straightened out everything - particularly what was mentioned about their rivalry in the Tom Shales book "Live From New York". (that book angered many SNL cast members and writers and created some friction among them) Chevy said that now he and Murray are friends and don't have any type of beef between them.

10. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Congrats Michael! Your book sound like something right up my alley. I wrote a novel about the making of a fictional blockbuster sequel, but after years of trying I put it on the proverbial "shelf" for the last 10 years (OMG, has it been that long?!). Going to go check Amazon for your book right now...

11. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    With writing, you should give yourself a deadline. At least, that's what I've been trying to do. I did that with the book, and right now I'm writing a screenplay. Of course, I missed my first deadline for the screenplay (June 1st) but now I hope to have it finished by the end of Summer. With the book, I did make my deadline, even though it took some long days behind the computer.