I would really love to see a GOOD remake of 'CARNIVAL OF SOULS'.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    It's one of my favorite little creepy B movies, and while I was watching my Criterion dvd tonight I started having thoughts and visions of what a good director could do with this if he were to remake it. Not that I don't love the original as it is, you'd be hard pressed to find a creepier, unsettling or nightmarish little horror gem like this one.
    I'm just speculating for a moment.
    For our purposes here, let's all just forget that aweful 'Wes Cravin presents' version shall we, i'm talking a no holds barred, scare you to death, re-make. I thought of M. Night Shyamalan as the director, in his hands I think it would be incredible! [​IMG]
    It would of course be updated with better production values, better acting, better make-up and effects, and PERHAPS better writing and directing, but one thing I must STRONGLY emphesize:
    it would not be in the same generic horror movie vein as all the recent so called horror films made now. Catering to the audience of such mindless fare such as Valentine, Scream 3 and the like. Not this one.
    What I would like is to see it done seriously, with the intensity of say The Exorcist or even The Sixth Sense.
    I actually had the urge for a moment or two to find a way to somehow suggest to Hollywood to do this, or at least implant the germ of the idea in the head of someone who could write it and shop it around. Hell, if I were any good at writing i'd write the dammed thing myself! [​IMG]
    I'd really like to see something great done with this story...again. [​IMG]

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

John,
    It's stunning how bad that "remake" is, ain't it? [​IMG]

3. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    You ain't kiddin! It's the celluloid equivelent to...to.., I don't know, think of something really bad. [​IMG]

4. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

While I like the idea and I adore the movie, I really don't think that today's audiance would really get in to the film. The basic plot of the story is very slow moving and today's movie goer doesn't seem to care about developing a story...no matter how basic it might be.

The first, even with it's acting and everything, is so much more to me than a B title. I think that they did a wonderful job with the budget that they had, and it is my favorite of any, what most people would consider, a B title. It think that the film is simply beautiful the way that it is and is very effective.

I really think that Wes Craven should be shot just on principle for having his name on something as shitty as what the remake was. Simply horrid.

5. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    If there's nothing wrong with the first movie, why would you want a remake?

I'm much more interested in remaking films that almost worked but for one reason or another just didn't. Regardless of how well made a remake of this film would be, as a fan you would always compare it to the original much in the same way that comic book fans never accept the film version completely. They always have something to complain about.

6. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Well, like I said it was just a thought I had while watching the original and thought it could work if done right. I was thinking of The Fly and how effective the original was and how much better David Cronenberg's remake was. He took the idea and changed it around and added new twists to it and made it his own. The same could be done with 'CoS' I think.
    That's my point really, in the right hands an already great original JUST MIGHT be remade to be even better.

7. Stephanie T.

Stephanie T. Stunt Coordinator

I'm with Chad R. on this. The original was so well done, why stage a remake?
    Besides, no remake on DVD would have all of those (ahem) Herk perks. [​IMG]
    Seriously, though... how would you express the young woman's alienation and spiritual disturbance (hell, she's a walking spiritual disturbance, but you know what I mean)? In the original, she's a somewhat prudish church organist, and personality-wise, she's a bit of a pill. (She's also dead, which has been known to suppress many a vibrant personality.)
    And the guy who unsuccessfully hits on her... do you cast another total unknown, or go with an established character actor?
    And the location... that abandoned amusement park, plus the bridge, plus the church, was all just perfect. Honestly, where would you go from there?
    I think it'd be fun if this movie were to get the revival/art house treatment. Seeing it with a crowd would be so different. It'd be wonderful for Candice Hilligoss to get the big-screen treatment, as opposed to the entire movie being just another precious relic of cinema history to be consumed at home. Not that anyone on these boards needs to be reminded of the difference. :b